Thursday, September 13, 2012

Throwback Thursday

Okay, I've given in. I rolled my eyes at the growing Instagram and Twitter trend, but I eventually gave in to how fun it is to post pictures of yourself from past years - whether that is a baby or elementary school picture, or a picture from high school.
Pre-K 
My now senior little brother
Friends since Pre-K and now she is one of my roommates 
A little high school throwback
This trend got me thinking of all of the things that I grew up with that are now considered "throwback." Remember how important it was to have the most perfect AIM info? Posting inside jokes with your friends, an inspirational quote, the inevitable initials of your crush - they were all there. And don't even get me started about choosing the perfect font. Along with that, our MySpace bios were ever so important. I specifically remember browsing the web for hours trying to find the perfect layout and song to enhance my already perfect description of myself.

I could go on for hours about the shows that existed when I was younger, and how much better they were than the stuff that is on TV now. Boy Meets World, Full House, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power? Though I will admit, I own all seven seasons of Boy Meets World, so I can take that trip down memory lane whenever I feel a bit of nostalgia for some life lessons from Mr. Feeny. And who doesn't hold their relationship standards to those of Cory and Topanga?
This man has taught me so much (Source)
Hey football head! (Source)
I would also like to take a moment and reminisce on some of the unfortunate fashions that made the rounds when I was younger. Gaucho pants, Juicy sweatsuits, Angel jeans, outfit-matching ribbons, Hollister, scrunchies, choker necklaces - what ever happened to those? I can't help but laugh when I look back at my middle school years and compare them to my eighth grade Wyldlife girls, because they are so trendy and cool, and I was so not. At least I can look back at pictures and know that I wasn't alone! It just makes me wonder when I am going to look back at what I wear now and laugh - I mean, come on, chacos? Yoga pants? Oversized t-shirts? Well, maybe I'll never outgrow those things.
Juicy and super straight hair
Check out that sugar cookie shirt - courtesy of Abercrombie Kids
If you look closely, I (#6) am wearing a choker necklace
Double-whammy: Abercrombie shirt and a jacket tied around my waist
There are so many things that I could look back on, and maybe I will make a few more Throwback Thursday posts and highlight some of my favorite 90's hits, but one thing I cannot do is end this post without mentioning the beanie baby craze. Now, I am not sure what your beanie baby experience was, but mine was a pretty involved one. I had so many beanie babies that I am almost embarrassed to admit that I am fairly certain I had over 300 of them. My mom and I went to actual beanie baby conventions and would browse at the special editions that were going for hundreds of dollars. Remember how important those tags were? I had tag protectors for them, and for some of my bears, specifically Princess Diana, special protective cases. My family will probably shun me for this, but during the mini-beanie baby month at McDonald's, we definitely contributed to the growing trend of childhood obesity because we went there pretty much every day so that we could add to our already-too-big collection. I will have to try to find a picture of them the next time I am home. How much do you think these little guys are are worth today?
Probably my most cherished beanie baby (Source)
I love taking trips down memory lane, especially now that I am in my twenties (so old), and our house has its first 21st birthday coming up this weekend. I promise my regular food and fitness posts will be making a comeback very, very soon! But for now, enjoy my take on Throwback Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha LOVE it! I remember al these trends too well... I'm so ashamed haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog;) its sooooo cute!!!!!
    -hallie,Anna,Jill, &layne❤

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS