Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A New Year

It's New Years Eve. Surprise! Just kidding, I am more than sure that you already knew that. But just in case you didn't, now you know. And with a new year comes reflection and looking ahead, and thinking about all of the things that you want this new year to bring with it. I for one will be sad to see 2014 go - with all of its adventures and learning experiences and new opportunities and laughter and answered prayers and challenges and so much more. It's been one heck of a year, as I have mentioned over and over again, and though there were certainly both ups AND downs throughout the entire year, and it maybe didn't end the way I expected it to (but when does life ever go according to plan?), I'll still chalk 2014 up to being one of the very best yet. That being said, however, I am excited to ring in 2015, and see what surprises it holds. I could go back and wrap up all that 2014 brought me, but I feel as though I've done that quite a lot lately, so I'll spare you that trip down memory lane, though it would certainly be a good one.



I have no complaints, no regrets, and no sadness when I look back at this year. Because I put a lot into it, and I got a whole heck of a lot out of it. I will cherish every single memory that was made, every laugh that I laughed, every tear that I cried, every decision that was made, every change that happened, every moment spent with friends and family, and so much more. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world, and I have so much to look forward to, and because what would a new year be without some new resolutions, I'll share a few of mine with you.

I want to love bigger, and I want to tell people how much they mean to me. I want to show love through my actions, and I want to be a source of encouragement to other people.


I want to try new things - things that scare me, things that I might have otherwise brushed off, things that might be out of my comfort zone. That includes signing up for a sand volleyball league, because that is so out of my comfort zone and will help me to meet new people, something that isn't always easy for me.

(Source)
I want to continue to be active, and that means running 2,015 in 2015. Before you look at me like I'm crazy, I am going to do this challenge, inspired by Run the Edge, with my friend Amira. Because running 2,105 miles on your own means running approximately 5.5 miles a day, and let's be honest, we all know I'm not going to stick to that, running 1007.5 miles apiece seems much more manageable. That comes out to about 2.75 miles a day, which also won't happen, but a 6-mile run here and there takes care of a couple of days. I love a good challenge, and this will certainly challenge me.

(Source)
I want to find an organization that means a lot to me, and become an active volunteer. Lately I've been thinking a lot about Girls on the Run, because running is something that is such a huge part of my life, and something that a lot of people associate in a negative manner. I like what Girls on the Run stands for, and I hope to make some extra time to do that.

(Source)
I want to see the great in every day. A very wise person once told me that "Every day isn't going to be great, but there is something great in every day." And I firmly believe that. And I hope in 2015 that even on the no good, very bad days, I can find at least one redeeming thing about that day.



I want to be present. Too much of my time is spent looking at my phone screen, and while I will be the first to admit that technology is a great thing, it is also very consuming. I want to unplug a little bit more often than I do, and get outside and enjoy what's around me. I want to enjoy the company I am in, I want to forget about social media and FOMO, and learn to be content no matter the circumstances.


I want to forgive more readily. As someone who has been forgiven in the biggest and most powerful way possible, I want to learn how to forgive more and bigger, and to not hold grudges the way that I definitely know how. To forgive someone is the highest form of love, and that goes back to resolution number one.

I want to read more. And that will be hard, as an English teacher (is that an oxymoron or what?), but I found a great Reading Challenge (on Pinterest, of course) that sounds like something that is right up my alley. Chances are, I won't get to all of them, but it will prevent me from rereading the Harry Potter series for what is probably the seventh time (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that).

I do want my own library one day, though maybe a bit more organized than this one! (Source)
I want to be the best me possible. I want to complain less, I want to dream big, I want to dedicate myself 110% to the commitments I make. I want to worry less, I want to relax more, I want to treat myself to things and not feel guilty. I want to travel, I want to blog more, I want to write more, and I want to challenge myself to be the best me I can be each and every day. I want to reach out to old friends, I want to make new ones, I want to be the best teacher and coach and daughter and friend and sister that I can possibly be. I want to be able to forgive myself, and give myself grace where I need it, because I'm an imperfect person, but I am a daughter of the King. I want to wake up every morning and choose joy. I want to laugh more and be genuinely and consistently happy. Because tomorrow is the first day of a 365-page book, and there is not a doubt in my mind that Jesus hasn't written me one that is just what I need. I can plan my own steps, but He's up there laughing at me, telling me to trust Him and all that He has for me.


And here's to knowing that 2015 will come with good days and bad days, successes and failures, accomplishments and letdowns, gains and losses. But here's to also knowing who holds my future, and I can walk confidently in that.


Enjoy your evening, be safe, and think about what you want from 2015. I'd love to hear from you. And again, thanks for keeping up with this little blog of mine - it brings me a lot of joy, and I absolutely love it when it gets read. Call me a narcissist, but I love sharing what I learn with you all, even if it's in the form of a silly old workout.

1 comment:

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS