Sunday, January 3, 2016

First Sunday

And suddenly, it's the last official day of Christmas break. While the kids don't go back to school until Tuesday, teachers have a day of inservice tomorrow, which, to be honest, I'm very thankful for. I'm glad we get a day to collect ourselves before the chaos of a new semester (and a STAAR semester, at that) begins. I have a few things to take up to my classroom, a few copies to make, and I am sure my PLC will meet for at least a little bit, but other than that, I'm not anticipating a stressful day tomorrow. It's funny because this time last year I was absolutely dreading returning to school. I mean, I felt so much anxiety over it. But this year, while I wish our break was just a little bit longer, I by no means feel any anxiety. And I know once I'm there, I'll be glad to be there. It's just ... getting there that's 90% of the battle.

But let's focus on today. It started out bright and early with a morning swim, followed by a trip to FedEx so that I could print and copy a couple of things, and then made my way inward to meet a dear friend for brunch at Adair Kitchen.



I played club volleyball with Kate during our freshman years of high school, and we quickly grew close. She's easily one of the strongest, most inspiring people I know, and she's one of those people where time doesn't make a difference. No matter how long it's been since you have seen one another in person, it's so easy to pick right back up where you left off. We enjoyed a belated birthday celebration over vegetable omelettes, and spent almost two hours catching up on all things life. A most wonderful way to spend my first Sunday of the year.

And now? A survey, of course!

1. What’s your favorite pick-me-up movie? (if you aren’t a movie person, what’s your cheer-up routine?)
She’s the Man is one of those movies that will never get old, and one of those movies that will always make me laugh, no matter how bad a day I’ve had. And did you know it’s based off of William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night? See, educational.

(Source)
2. What achievement of yours are you most proud of?
Man. I hope I don’t sound like I’m bragging, but I feel like I have a lot to be proud of! I’m proud of the eight half marathons I’ve completed, I’m proud of my degree from the University of Texas, I’m proud of my job, and the success I’ve found in it. I’ve certainly got a lot to be thankful for.


3. If you could travel anywhere for a month-long vacation, where would you go?
Southeast Asia, Argentina, Australia – the list goes on and on and on.

Patagonia (Source)
4. What’s one of your favorite quotes?
I  L O V E quotes, so picking just one will be hard to do. But I’ll go with this one –

(Source)
“And above all watch with glittering eyes the world around you. Because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl

5. Do you sleep in the dark or do you like to have a light on?
Total darkness. I have to turn my clock on its face because the light coming from the numbers bothers me. Sad but true.

6. Do you collect anything?
I don’t really collect anything, except for maybe quotes. I used to be really good about printing, cutting, and pasting my favorite quotes into a quote journal, but I’ve neglected that over the years. I actually had a 365-day Lovely Thoughts Pad, in which there was a quote at the bottom of each page. For the quotes that I really liked, I cut them off at the bottom, and they are currently in their own little pile on my dresser. Baby steps, people.

7. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
I’ve received a lot of great advice over the years, but I think one of my most recent favorites is a quote I heard at church just the other day: “Set big goals, and take small steps.” Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point was referenced (a book that I own, but have yet to read) by the pastor, and he specifically mentioned a chapter on the Broken Window Theory. He states that when you visit low-income, poverty-ridden, crime-infested neighborhoods, you see a lot of broken windows. And by consistently fixing just one broken window at a time, the crime rate will lower. And that seems crazy, right? But the theory makes sense. You’re not going to change the world overnight. You’re just not. But by doing one thing at a time – by consistently fixing one window at a time – and doing it consistently, over time, you’re sure to make a big difference.

8. If could time travel, which decade would you choose to live in?
Probably the 1950’s. First of all, the 50’s fashion was on fleek, and I feel as though people were genuinely happier than are people today. Or maybe I just love the movie Grease. You tell me.

(Source)
9. What is your favorite type of cuisine?
I really love Mediterranean food. It’s light, yet filling, and oh so delicious! I tend to forget about it when choosing a place to eat, so here’s to keeping Mediterranean food at the forefront of my mind this year.

Niko Niko's
10.  What is a fitness goal you have (can be long or short-term)?
To focus more on strength training. I am a cardio queen, but I often push the weights to the side. They are such an important part of everyone’s fitness regimen, though, so I want to make them more of a focus during my upcoming workouts.

11. If you could compete at the Olympics, which sport would you choose?
This question is so hard for me because I freakin’ love the Olympics. I’m not kidding when I say that I plan my entire schedule around the big-time Olympic events, and then I spend any spare time that I have watching every other event. So, I’m going to let you in on my top three: gymnastics, swimming, and beach volleyball.


And that's all I've got for you guys today. I'm off to get myself fully prepared for the week, and then maybe settle down with a book and a warm blanket. Back to reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS