Monday, March 2, 2015

Birthday Monday

This post may be small in length, but big in content. Or maybe I should say it's important in content. Either way, I've got T H R E E very important birthdays to share with you guys today.

First and foremost, today is my best friend's birthday! Fate had a plan for us when we were seated at the same table on that fateful first day of sixth grade. Okay, that one might be attributed to the fact that our last names are so close to one another, but that didn't mean we had to become best friends. Gayle is the kind of friend who only comes around once in a lifetime. She is loyal and loving and faithful and selfless and genuine and encouraging and all things good. We are very similar, yet very different all at the same time. We went off to rival colleges, yet our friendship has stood the test of time. She has been there for me every single step of the way, and we are happiest when we are sitting together talking. She gets me, she speaks so much truth, she makes me a better person, and I'm just not sure what I would do without her. It's hard to believe that we are 23 years old, she's on her way to becoming a CPA (!!!), and that this spring break, we'll take our 12th consecutive trip to the rodeo together.




Second, today is Texas Independence Day! I have said it before, but I am a Texas girl through and through. I love this state, I love that everyone can locate this state on a map, and I can't imagine ever living anywhere else. Yes, we are chock-full of Texas pride, but if you lived in a state that took ELEVEN HOURS to leave, you would probably be proud, too. We can fly our flag at the same level as the American flag, we have our own pledge, and while Texas may not be what comes to mind when you think beautiful, I think it's plenty pretty. And more importantly, it's home.


25 Reasons You Should Never Visit Texas
And lastly, today is Dr. Seuss' birthday. Give me one child who didn't grow up reading Dr. Seuss books, and I'll go ahead and remedy that right away. But seriously, talk about a man with an imagination, and a thirst for chaos and fun. His books often pack a message, but in a way that is still very kid-friendly. And though children are his main audience, his work can be enjoyed by people of all ages. In fact, he even said that "[he] doesn't write for children, [he] writes for people."  He's colorful and poetic and he was a staple in my childhood. And his words are still applicable. Always remember that "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose."




I hope your Monday is a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS