Thursday, March 12, 2015

Spring Break To Do List

Okay, so I didn’t tell you my whole running story yesterday. I was on such a runner’s high that I didn’t want to share this embarrassing story with you guys until today. It’s sure to make you laugh, because if it’s not one thing, it’s another. So, I was about 3.5 miles into my run when the water I chugged just before I left caught up with me. I was running up Kirkwood when I decided I would run into a neighborhood family favorite – Sam’s Deli Diner – to use their bathroom. I walked in, said hi to the people working, and asked if I could use their bathroom. Getting the okay, I headed toward the back of the restaurant, I guess not noticing the “Wet Floor” sign. I’m sure you know where this is going. But I’ll paint a picture for you anyway. I must have been walking too fast, slipped, grabbed a chair in an effort to catch myself, and proceeded to fall to the floor. I did land on my elbow, but I think I hurt my pride more than I hurt the bone. But I got up and walked it off and I lived to tell the tale. Thankfully, the restaurant wasn’t too crowded, and I hurried out without making eye contact with anyone. Happy hump day to me!

And because we have O N E school day left to spring break, I thought I’d share my Spring Break To-Do List with you guys. It’s more general than specific, but these are a couple of the things I hope to accomplish on my N I N E glorious days off from school. I am so glad my spring break wasn’t this week, because the weather has not been very spring break-esque. My fingers are crossed for sunshine next week so that I can finally get a little bit of color into my vampire-like skin.

Spring Break To Do List

Try three new restaurants
  • I have a Houston Restaurant List that is about a mile long. While Houston has plenty to do, our restaurant scene has got to be our claim to fame. And I’m a little bummed that I spent so much of my life eating at restaurants in my own little Memorial bubble, and even then I’ve missed some good ones, because there are so many good ones out there in Midtown, Montrose, the Heights, and Rice Village. So, this break I am going to try at least three new restaurants, though I can almost guarantee that Hungry’s will make a spring break appearance. Old habits die hard.
(Source)
Read a book
  • This past Sunday I finished reading Mindy Kaling’s book, and I have yet to start a new one. This spring break I am going to start (and finish!) one of the many, many books that I have recently purchased. Once upon a time I told myself that I would finish all of the books I already have before buying any new ones. Ask me how long that vow was kept.
(Source)
Declutter
  • Remember the 30-Day Minimalism Challenge? Yeah, I haven’t been consciously completing that one very well. But one thing I really want to accomplish is decluttering my room, my closet, my bathroom (which I’ve pretty much already done), my car (this is an ongoing goal), my computer (both school and personal), and my cell phone. Let me explain a little bit. I repainted and redid my room over LABOR DAY WEEKEND. How many months ago was that? And I still have boxes of things that I never really unpacked when I moved home from Austin. I think I was in denial. Or lazy. Or busy. I’ll let you be the judge. Anyway, organization has got to happen. And as for my car. Well, I seem to live out of my car, and I would be embarrassed if anyone were to look inside and see all that I keep in there. And last but not least, we have technology. I have this habit of taking screen shots of quotes or workouts or restaurants that I like or want to remember or try out of visit, and then I don’t do anything with them. Which may be why my phone constantly tells me that it’s almost out of storage. I want to write those quotes or workouts down and keep them all in one document on my computer so that I can delete the photos off of my phone. And speaking of computers, it’s time to go through both my personal computer and my school computer and get rid of unnecessary photos, documents, and downloads. Organization is the motto this break! 
Watch a movie

  • I’m a horrible movie-watcher. It’s hard for me to sit down and just watch and enjoy a movie, however, there are many movies that I do want to watch or see. So, my goal is sit down, watch, and enjoy a new-to-me movie. Because there are too many movies that I just haven’t seen. And maybe I’ll even make my way over to an Alamo Drafthouse because evidently teachers get free admission to one movie from March 7 – March 22 for their self-proclaimed Teacher Appreciation Week(s). I can dig it.

Play volleyball
  • I’m sure you guys know by now that I played a little volleyball back in my day. And that I coach a little bit in my spare time. Just in case you’re new around here. And I really, really miss playing volleyball. I played some this summer and I absolutely loved getting back into it. And I’ve told myself now that I’m back in Houston I am going to attend open gym at Spike Sport Volleyball Club. It doesn’t start until 8:30pm, and we all know that’s getting close to my bedtime. But a couple of our volleyball managers play for the men’s club there, and they say that open gym is a good, competitive time. So it’s my goal over spring break to attend at least one open gym, because coming back to the game you played for so long is just like riding a bike – It never really leaves you.

Try two new recipes
  • Ever since I moved back home, baking has been going strong. Cooking, on the other hand, well, not so much. And I’m really good at pinning really pretty and delicious-looking recipes on Pinterest, but I never actually follow through and make them. It’s just so easy to have leftovers or eat whatever my parents are eating, that I don’t take the time to cook anything for myself. Maybe I could even cook something for my parents, to attempt to thank them for all that they do for me. And if I don’t get back on the cooking grind now, I’ll lose my touch and end up being one of those people who eats only Lean Cuisine in the event that I do move out of my parents’ house. Don’t worry, it will happen, just not quite yet. So, in addition to trying three new restaurants, I also want to try two new recipes, one of which has to be an actual meal, not a dessert.  I’ll likely pick a recipe that includes Brussels sprouts, because I’ve been craving that tasty veggie lately.  
Zucchini Noodles are high on my list (Source)
Try something new
  • This one is really open to interpretation. Maybe it will be a new exercise class, a new skill or hobby, a new activity, if you will, but I want to do something outside of my comfort zone. Not even my comfort zone, but just something out of the ordinary. I’m sure it won’t be too hard to find something that fits this bill!
And on that note, I’m off to make sure I’ve got everything covered for the week after spring break. My last goal is to not do any school work over the break. And I’m starting that one off on the right foot by giving in and showing a movie tomorrow in my English classes. So sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS