Thursday, February 26, 2015

30-Day Minimalism Challenge

Happy Thursday! We've made it over the hump and we are so close to the weekend. I have a little extra pep in my step on Thursday and Friday, because if I've made it this far, I can certainly survive the downhill slide. So, let's get going with today's events, shall we?

Workout

Amira, my partner-in-crime in the 2015-mile running challenge, and also one of my best friends, understands the struggle that comes from being told you can't run. When I told her the news, which was obviously very positive, she understood that when you're told you can't run, it makes you want to run even more. And you guys know I love the sunshine, so not being able to run today was a little bit frustrating. But I got over it pretty quickly when I made my way up to the MAC for a Felipe class. Now let me tell you something about Felipe's classes. I know I've mentioned them before, but just to refresh your memory. They have a very loyal following, in that if you are a Felipe attendee, you don't miss. You just don't. And while you are in the classes, you want to curse him for all that he is making you do. But when you finish, you want to hug him because you just got one dynamite workout, and you likely pushed yourself harder than you would have thought, because Felipe doesn't let anyone stop until everyone is doing what he is asking.

And I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. But Felipe shape is a whole other story. So, this afternoon's Muscle Blast class was T-O-U-G-H in the best way possible. I have been slacking on my strength training lately - I would just so much rather do cardio! - and this workout is something my entire body is going to feel tomorrow. That 4:40am wake-up call? Not happening. And while I don't want to compromise the integrity of the class by sharing with you what the entire class looked like, I will share with you one of the circuits we did, with which I have a love/hate relationship.
  • Squats (20)
(Source)
  • Backward lunges (10 on each leg)
(Source)
  • Pushups --> knee-to-outside elbow plank (2 pushups; 4 knee-to-outside elbow plank, x4)
(Source)
  • Squat to alternating overhead press (10 on each arm)
One arm presses up and then the other (Source)
30-Day Minimalism Challenge

I came across this challenge while reading this blog, and I absolutely loved it. Challenges speak to the competitive side of me, and this one has a very unique purpose. We use big holidays like the new year and our birthdays to sort of, start fresh. For a more proper name, "The Fresh-Start Effect." Well, the new year has already passed, as has my birthday, but the start of a new month is quickly approaching. And this month is sure to be CRAZY with the English I STAAR test looming at the end. So that seems like the perfect time to start this challenge, which will hopefully help me to live a "simpler, more intentional life," with more energy for the things that matter. You guys know I love my to-do lists, and I am the queen of going until I've crossed everything off. Which can be exhausting and not always the most beneficial and productive way to live. 


(Source)
That's why I love this challenge. It's almost like it's 30 days to a better peace of mind. Not that I am not peaceful. But the fact that I haven't seen two of my best friends who live and go to school not 15 minutes away from where I work in almost a month is a little bit absurd. So, come March 1st, this very Sunday, I'm going to choose one of these things to do a day. There's no special order, and I probably won't give a report over each one. And it's almost guaranteed that some of these are going to be far more challenging than others. But I'm excited to begin this challenge, and I'll certainly let you guys know about any big revelations along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS