Sunday, February 15, 2015

Running Survey

Because today I completed half marathon number seven, and it goes in the record books as the most difficult race I have run thus far. So, here’s a running survey to hold you over until I find the time to post a race recap for you guys. Enjoy!

Age: 23
Country/State/General Vicinity: Houston, Texas

Year you ran your first mile without walking: Hmm, this is a good question. I’m sure with all of the sports I played in elementary, middle, and high school, I ran a mile without stopping at some point in time. But I certainly couldn’t tell you the exact year I first ran a mile without stopping!

Ain't that the truth
Year you became a “runner”?: This answer, I do know. I became a runner the year I went off to college – 2010. A couple of my friends decided they wanted to sign up for the Austin Half Marathon, so I decided to sign up with them. Well, it turned out that I was the only one who actually followed through with that decision. I started running the winter of 2010, and I have never looked back.

Why you run now: I absolutely love running (most days). It provides some much-needed “me” time, and I use the time I spend running to think about everything under the sun. I have a job that requires me to be “on” most hours of the day, and this gives me a chance to turn “off” and just go. See this post for a more detailed description of why I run.


What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a sports bra?: Probably $30, on my favorite Under Armour Seamless Essential Sports Bra. Actually, I may have purchased a sports bra from Lululemon, but I more than likely got it on sale.

First race: My first real race was the 2011 Austin Half Marathon. Yeah, I know. I had signed up for the Houston Turkey Trot that Thanksgiving, but was plagued with a bad cold that forced me to forgo it. So, I was a little bit unsure of how this race was going to go, but lo and behold, I ran the entire race without stopping. I might not recommend that method to others, but it worked out just fine for me!

Last race: The 2015 Austin Half Marathon. Race recap to come (eventually)! Just know that those hills absolutely did me dirty.


Slower than usual, yes, but I finished without walking (and believe me, I considered it)
3 races you most wish you could run: Wow. This is a tough question. I would love to run a race in every state, and I would also love to run The Boston Marathon one day, but that would require running a (very fast) marathon in order to just qualify for Boston. So, we’ll see how that one goes. Right now the top three on my “To Run” List are –
(Source) I'm sorry, but does this not look like the world's prettiest race destination?
Hello, Vancouver (Source)
An Alaskan Summer Solstice tradition (Source)
Favorite race: I have loved every race that I have run. Austin, Houston, San Francisco, Disney World, and Washington D.C – I’ve been lucky enough to get to travel to some of the best places in this country to participate in one of my favorite hobbies. And while each race has had its own special qualities, running through the city in which I was born and raised was probably the most special to me.


Best running advice you’ve ever received: Smile! People will think you're crazy.

First running shoe: Definitely a pair of Mizuno’s. I am partial to the Mizuno brand because that is what I wore throughout my entire volleyball career (not running shoes, of course). However, I think my next pair will be a pair of Asics purely because I find the Asics out on the market right now to be a little bit cuter than the Mizunos. Sue me!


Do you run with a watch?: I do. I either run with my Garmin Forerunner, or I run with my white IronMan watch. Often times it’s not because I want to know my minute/mile time, but just because it helps me gauge how far I have run. Obviously, if I am wearing my Garmin, it gives me the exact distance. But if I am at least wearing a watch, I can deduce about how far I’ve run based on how long I’ve run. The idea of running countless around a track bores me to tears, so I often run through a neighborhood, in a park, or around a lake, and it’s not always easy to know how far I’ve gone.



Running goals for 2015: My main running goal for 2015 is to run 1007.5 miles, combined with Amira who is also going to run 1007.5 miles, for a total of 2,015 miles. And I am well on my way to hitting that goal, but we’ll see how the tables turn when the summer weather approaches.

PRs:
  • 5K – 25:21 (I think the ABB 5K is the first official 5K I have ever run!)
    • ABB 5K – Houston 2015
  • 10K – 49:37
    • Turkey Trot 10K – Houston 2011
  • 12K – 1:03:31
    • 12K of Christmas – Houston 2014
  • 15K – 1:21:41
    • Hot Chocolate 15K – Dallas 2013
  • 10 miles – 1:21:45
    • Run for the Water – Austin 2011
  • Half Marathon – 1:54:18
    • Austin Half Marathon – Austin 2013
I have had an absolutely wonderful weekend here in Austin, and I plan on soaking up every last minute before I head back home. Or I might possibly take a trip to the San Marcos Outlets, depending on the weather. See you guys from Houston!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS