Monday, February 2, 2015

Myers-Briggs

Another Monday is almost in the books. Selfishly, I love that our day to quiz and test is Monday, because a weekly vocabulary quiz and short answer response is a nice way to ease back into a Monday. Especially a Monday after a wedding weekend. Which was absolutely beautiful, by the way. It was a long trek out to Fort Worth, but it was more than worth it to watch Sarah marry the man of her dreams and become Mrs. Patrick Vondra (!!!). Plus, I got to reunite with all of my roommates, minus one, which was a blast and a half. You never know what will happen when the ladies of The Clubhouse get together, especially when an open bar is involved. I’m just saying. I’m actually mostly kidding about that one, but a good time was had by all. And now one of our own is a married lady. Who can believe it?




Workout

Before I get going on the heart of this post, let’s talk exercise. I thought about going to bed early, in the hopes that I would wake up early and go for a run before school, but I decided to be a human and actually stay awake for the entire Super Bowl. It turned out to be one great game, which is about all you can ask for when you don't have a dog in the fight. And of course, I loved watching the commercials. Among my favorites had to be –
  • Snickers
  • Budweiser
  • Microsoft
  • Toyota Camry
  • Always, Like A Girl


  • Doritos

So, there was the Super Bowl, and though I knew a temperature of 38 degrees would make for good running weather, I also knew that dragging myself out of my warm, cozy bed to go run for 45 minutes around my neighborhood at 4:45am probably wasn’t going to happen. Driving takes a lot out of you, and I knew that I needed the extra rest this morning. Plus, I knew the high wasn’t going to get much above 50 degrees today, so an after-school run would still be quite pleasant. And it was. In fact, it felt so good outside that I turned my usual 5.2 mile run into a 6 mile run. Not a bad way to wind down what was otherwise a very slow Monday.


And when you follow up a great run with some Chobani Apple Cinnamon yogurt, topped with 18 Rabbits Jr. Chocolate Banana Granola - a new-to-me granola because my usual brand hasn't been in stock at Target lately - Monday really can't be beat.



Myers-Briggs

I am sure this comes as no surprise to you guys, but I love personality tests. I love taking surveys and quizzes of all kind, especially ones that tell me about myself. Granted, I should be the expert on myself, but I like to see how well these quizzes match up to what I think about myself. And Myers-Briggs tests tend to be pretty accurate, and my official score was:

ENFJ
  • E – Extrovert. N – Intuition. F – Feeling. J – Judgment.
But, if you remember this post, I think I identify as an ambivert, because I absolutely have traits of both the introvert and the extrovert, and I think they are pretty darn balanced. So, when I match my personality type to some sort of chart, I often look up results for both ENFJ and INFJ. And to be honest, this personality type could change with the time of day. My intuition result was just barely intuition, and I often think I identify more on the sensing side of things, as I consider myself to be a very realistic and practical person. But these were the results I received when taking a test sent out by a professor at UT, so I tend to go with it.

And if you want to know the reason that I took this personality test, it is so I could see which Harry Potter character I matched up with. Are you surprised about that? You know I love Harry Potter. My results?
  • Albus Dumbledore – The Teacher (ENFJ)
and
  • Remus Lupin – The Counselor (INFJ)
Albus Dumbledore comes as no surprise, as obviously, I am a teacher. Though the introvert in me cringes at the thought of talking in front of a large crowd the way he does in The Great Hall. And Remus Lupin is also not much of a surprise, as I am thinking very seriously about getting my Masters in Counseling. I do care a lot about the needs and cares of others, and I often shoulder other people’s burdens without even realizing it. I take some of my student’s stories home with me, but I absolutely love listening to other people’s stories, though I definitely have trouble standing up for myself, even with high school students!
 
(Source)
And what inspired this post was when I saw this article – The Best Careers For Your Personality Type. First, you must determine your personality type, and you can click here to take this quiz. Of course, there are many, many quizzes out there, but this one seems to be pretty reliable, and linked to by the creator of the Harry Potter chart.

I found myself to be an empath (shocking, right?), both with the ENFJ and INFJ personality type. The other categories are pragmatists, caretakers, and theorists. Of the remaining three, I would consider myself to be most like a caretaker, but still more of an empath. So, we are already on the right track. Anyway, ENFJ’s are said to be “Inspiring Guides,” with teacher, health educator, and minister falling under that category, while INFJ’s are called “Compassionate Counselors,” and writer and school counselor are the two careers I can identify with from that list. Completely shocking, right? Your personality type truly has a lot to do with why you prefer some jobs to others, which is a very obvious statement, I know, but it’s interesting to see that I seem to be in the right place. That though I have my days of doubt, what I am most happy doing matches my personality.

(Source)
(Source)
(Source)
I absolutely love discussing and analyzing things like this, even if I don’t exactly know what I am talking about. People’s personalities and thoughts and feelings (or lack thereof) are of so much interest to me, and while I am not always comfortable in a large group of people I don’t know very well, I find it to be very easy to connect with one or two new people on a very deep and real level. Just my two cents!

And I would L-O-V-E to hear from YOU guys! Does your personality type match up with your career or your field of study? If it doesn’t, why do you feel as though your career is still right for you? Obviously these quizzes and charts are not a rule book, but they are fun to think about. Have a great rest of your Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS