Sunday, January 22, 2017

How Do You Like to Run Survey

Happy Sunday! Okay, today's weather is pretty much perfect. Where was this last Sunday? But I won't talk about that anymore. I've got a survey to share with you guys, and though I'm pretty sure I've done this survey before, it's been a while, so I felt as though it would be okay to do again. There are only so many surveys out there, okay?


1. Would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail?
Hmm, I wouldn’t want to actually run ON the beach (that’s hard!), but running alongside it, absolutely. Normally I’m a mountains over beach kind of gal, but the altitude is really hard for me to deal with. I tried running while at Crooked Creek in Colorado, and I made it all of five minutes before having to stop and walk. The view was pretty, though.


2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
Lemon-Lime or Glacier Cherry.

3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
A new pair of kicks, duh! I go through running shoes like crazy, especially now that I’ve learned the importance of having good shoes in which to run. They can truly make all the difference. And there is nothing a new pair of running shoes can’t fix.


4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run?
I thrive on plans and to-do lists, and running is no exception to that. I have to know how many miles and at what pace I’m supposed to run, otherwise, all of my runs will turn into 6-7 mile easy runs through Hermann Park. The training plan I’m currently on is kicking my butt, but I’ve also seen a ton of progress. So I think I’ll stick with it.


5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Surprisingly enough, I don’t do downhill very well. I tend to lose control of my body, and it really hurts my shins, probably because of the angle of impact. I haven’t run enough hilly courses to really be able to answer this question, but I do know the monster hill at mile 12 of the Austin Half is enough to make me choose starting with the uphill and ending on the downhill.


6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
Swimming or biking. The one thing I don’t like about this training plan I’m on is that it doesn’t allow a ton of time for other types of exercise. I mean, it does, but I tend to have to use that time for other things. Maybe in the summer I’ll get that rockin’ one-piece tan back.

7. What is your preference —> Out and back, point to point, or loop runs?
I loathe loop runs, and I don’t love out and back runs. So I guess the only option I have left is point-to-point runs. I guess the caveat with this type of run is that you have to have a way to get back to your starting point without running there, but hey, isn’t that what Uber is for?

8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a—>
Good pair of running shoes. Seriously. Go to a Luke’s Locker type place and get a pair that is perfect for you.


9. Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Well, aside from those Grizzly Bears that run rampant through public schools, no. I did used to see a random raccoon or peacock when I lived with my parents and ran through their neighborhood.

10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Oh, yes. Especially when I lived in Austin. I would take a new turn, unsure of where it would take me, and I would find myself miles away from where I wanted to be. Whenever I run in a city in which I’m traveling, I tend to get lost, but I kind of like it that way. It allows me to find some hidden treasures.


11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days, what would that meal be?
MAN. What a question. This is going to sound pretty simple, but yogurt with some sort of fix-ins – either granola or chocolate chunks (whoops) – but it’s refreshing, it’s enough to fill me up, and it’s not too heavy that I feel like I’ve undone all the good I just did. Either yogurt, or a Local Foods Gaden Sammie salad. It really never gets old.


12. Capris or short: What do you run in most often?
Living in Houston, always shorts. Even on the rare occasion that it gets cold enough for pants, I start sweating approximately three steps into my run, and while I may be warm at the starting line if I wear capris, I immediately regret it about a mile into the run.


13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
It different from run to run. Sometimes I take a few steps and I know it’s going to be a good run. Other days, it takes me almost three miles to really hit my stride. Typically, it takes me about a mile to know how a run is going to go.

Barcelona Running Club
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
I put it in the handy little pocket in my shorts. When I used to drive to my favorite running spot, I would tie my car key to my shoelace.

15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one what it be?
I’ve enjoyed so many of the races that I’ve run. The Austin Half marathon will always hold a special place in my heart, as that is the race that ignited my love of running. I loved San Francisco (hello, hills!), and running through Houston will always mean a lot to me.


16. What type of run is your least favorite type of run?
Thursday tempo runs KILL me. It’s like I enjoy them, but then a lot of the time I really don’t. I enjoy the HUGE sense of accomplishment I feel when I finish a good one, though.


17. What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on?
January 14th, 2018. That, and I know I'll hear about it if I have to report back that I didn't do that day's scheduled run.


18. When you go for a run, do you leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start?
I typically leave right from my front door. Occasionally I’ll feel like changing it up a bit, and I’ll drive over to Buffalo Bayou or Memorial Park. I’ve got a great running path right near my apartment, though, so it’s pretty rare that I change it up.

19. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
I’ve never really worn sunglasses when I run, so I don’t know whether I would love them or hate them. I don’t wear glasses, so it might take me awhile to get used to having something on my face.

20. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
The sense of accomplishment I feel after pushing through a tough run. And the disappointment I don’t want to feel after quitting. 


And on that note, I'm off to get my run on. And then hopefully be super productive so that I can relax with a movie tonight. I rarely go to the movies, but there are about five movies out right now that I want to see. I saw Hidden Figures last night, and WOW, I can't stop thinking about it. It was absolutely beautiful, and I highly recommend every human being go see it. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS