Sunday, January 1, 2017

17 in '17

Happy 2-0-1-7! It's fitting that we start the new year on a Sunday, right? Beginning of the week; beginning of the year. I've got a good feeling about 2017, so let's hope that feeling holds true.


Well, I made a goal of writing one blog post a week, so what better way to start it off than by posting on the first day of the new year? I've got 17 random questions to share with you guys as we bring in 2017.


1. What brings you the greatest joy?
Can I list more than one thing? Running obviously brings me quite a bit of joy. It also keeps me sane. And drives me insane at the same time. Traveling and discovering new places. Mack brings me unparalleled joy. And I feel spoiled that I’m able to say this, but teaching absolutely brings me joy. Most days of the week, anyway.





2. What are your vices?
This is an easy question. Dark chocolate and sweet potato fries. I just can’t seem to say no.


I also love a nice glass of wine.


3. What is on your nightstand?
A lamp, a couple of books, a box of tissues, a picture of Mack, and I know you’re not supposed to, but I do charge my phone on my nightstand. I use it as my alarm clock!


4. Do you have a secret talent? 
Hmm, I can wiggle my ears? I’m a pretty good baker, but that’s not really a secret. I can be crafty every once in a blue moon. 


5. What is your greatest indulgence? 
I love getting pedicures and I love getting massages. I don’t do either one of them too often, but they’re a nice reward, and they’re something to look forward to. I’m so looking forward to my post-Aramco Houston Half Marathon pedicure on January 15th. And unless it ends with a cortisone shot in the butt, there’s not a lot that I love more than a relaxing massage.

Pre-massage
6. What should everyone try at least once in their life?
I’m of the belief that every single person should travel solo at least once in his or her life. It doesn’t have to be to a foreign country for three weeks. Maybe a weekend in a different city, or a week in a different state. But you learn so much about yourself, you meet some incredible people, and you can do whatever it is that you want to do whenever you want to do it. That means gelato for lunch if you want gelato for lunch.



7. What makes you laugh?
Honestly, there’s not a lot that doesn’t make me laugh. But the two things that make me laugh on a regular basis are my students and Mack.




8. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
People might be surprised to know that I’ve never had a cup of coffee? I’ve probably talked about this before, but it’s not that I’m anti-coffee, I just don’t like the taste of it. And I have a very addictive personality, so I would probably turn into one of those people who simply can’t function without it. So for now, I’ll continue to be the Energizer Bunny without having had a cup of coffee.

9. What is on your bucket list? 
I’m really bummed that our back-in-the-day family computer completely broke down before I had the chance to save some of my old Word documents, because I had an actual Bucket List saved on that computer. And I know for a fact some of them were really dumb – going to my senior prom was on there, for example – but I’m pretty sure I had some really cool things on that list. Right now, though, one of my top bucket list items is to visit all seven continents.

10. What is on your feet right now?
Tennis shoes.



11. How did you make your first dollar?
When I was in elementary and middle school, for every report card that I brought home with all “A’s” on it, I received $20. I know many people disagree with the extrinsic motivation thing, but I was motivated by far more than the money. But it was nice to have a little extra cash to buy pizza and cinnamon sticks with as I spent my summer days at the neighborhood pool.


12. What superstition do you believe in?
I tend to not walk under a ladder if I stumble upon one. And I always pick up a penny if I see it lying on the ground!

13. What items in your closet do you wear the most?
Probably my dresses. I love pairing them with booties if I’m feeling fancy, or with cute athletic shoes if I’m going for comfort. They’re one of those things that are easy to dress up or dress down depending on your mood as well as the occasion.





14. What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
One of my very favorite gifts is one I received for my college graduation – from a guy I’m no longer dating, but it’s fine – my Lucchese cowboy boots. I seriously wear those things to school at least once a week. Another gift given to me for graduation that really means a lot to me is the candy dish I have on my desk at school. It belonged to my Granny, and she used to keep candy in that very dish on her desk when she was working. My uncle gave it to me, and my students love checking it for candy updates.



15. What is on your liquor shelf?
Fun fact: I don’t have a liquor shelf. I do have a wine shelf in my refrigerator, though.

16. What is on your kitchen counter?
What isn’t on my kitchen counter? Actually, I don’t keep a lot of clutter on my counter, but some of the permanent things I have on my counter are my beloved KitchenAid Stand Mixer, a toaster oven, a microwave, and a bowl of fresh fruit.

17. What would you never leave home without?
While it is very rare, I have left home without my phone before. Though I’m probably running to Walgreens or something. I almost never leave home without my trusty Hydro Flask. What can I say? I believe in the value of staying hydrated!


And with that, I'm off to lounge on the couch and spend New Year's Day the way New Year's Day should be spent. I did run this morning, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS