Thursday, September 29, 2011

Brings Back Memories

The other night my friend and I were leaving SRD to head to a meeting and we were greeted with this surprising sight right outside our dorm.


It was very, very windy outside, and I was crossing my fingers for a thunderstorm (I was also carrying around my large bubble umbrella in preparation!), but we didn't get even one drop.
However, this picture reminded me of a windy day last year when I returned home to THIS lovely sight.


Yes, that is my car underneath that mess. I laughed when I first saw it, because really, what was being mad going to do to help the situation? Luckily, my dad's friend from college happens to live in Austin and knows a lot about cars, so he helped me out and took me to Twomey Auto Works. The first time I felt the tears sting my eyes was when I stepped out of the car and the mechanic told me it was going to cost around $7,000 or $8,000 to fix. And of course insurance doesn't cover "acts of God," and the city of Austin wasn't going to pay for it, even though it was their tree. I didn't know what to do - I was without my parents who usually make those types of decisions for me! In the end, we had them replace the windows and just bust out the dents. It looked great! Not perfect, but at least it was (and still is) drivable! And the most important thing, at least I wasn't inside of the car when it happened!

Workout + Lunch
Today's workout consisted of a 4.4ish mile run around downtown Austin. I planned on waking up earlier than 7:15 to run and escape some of the heat, but I was in desperate need of some sleep, but I wasn't feeling the treadmill, so I decided to brave the heat and just go for it. Well, it wasn't my easiest run, but I did run up the infamous hill located on MLK. Quite possibly my greatest feat of the week! When I got back, I was nice and sweaty due to the rising temperature outside. I literally couldn't stop sweating as I went down to the fitness room and completed this short leg workout.

60 squats --> 72 calf raises
40 squats --> 51 calf raises
20 squats --> 36 calf raises

Whew! I will feel that one in the morning! I am also considering making the trek over to the gym to swim a couple laps because it is such a beautiful (hot) day, but the chances of my getting a lane are not in my favor!

Well, SRD has done it again. This is a meal that I have never had before here at SRD but when I saw it on the weekly menu, I was pretty pumped about it. And I was not let down when it was time for me to grub.


This flank steak gyro with roasted vegetables was AWESOME. The pita bread (my favorite kind of bread!) was warm and delectable, and the meat was oh-so tender. Like I would expect anything less from SRD! Our kitchen staff is the best! I even went back for a few more pieces of meat and roasted vegetables. So delicious!

Here's a quick pick-me-up: It's almost FRIDAY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS