Sunday, December 20, 2015

Christmas Survey

Happy Sunday from my kitchen table. I just made it home from Austin for a roommate reunion weekend, and I'm about to head out the door again, but seeing as it's been a week since my last post, I wanted to get it posted.

Clubhouse girlies on Mount Bonnell
I'll do a full Austin recap early this week, but for now, here's our weekly survey. With a little bit of a Christmas theme, because Christmas is in FIVE short days. Good thing I've already got all of my shopping done!


What’s the best gift you have ever received?
Oh, man. I know that I lived a super blessed childhood, because there’s no way I can answer this question. I know getting my first “big girl” bike when I was about to turn five was probably one of the greatest gifts I ever remember seeing under the tree. I know my American Girl Doll - Samantha - was also a huge hit, but I definitely could not pick just one.



What is your favorite Christmas movie moment?
I have a couple –
  1. How The Grinch Stole Christmas – When the Grinch, after attempting to cancel Christmas for the residents of Whoville by stealing all of their Christmas gifts, sees them gathered around the tree, SINGING! That’s when he realizes that “Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas … perhaps … means a little bit more.”
  2. A Charlie Brown Christmas – Christmas is not about all of that extra stuff. It’s about getting together with your family and loved ones to celebrate the real reason for the season. Charles Schulz, you left a wonderful legacy.
  3. It’s a Wonderful Life – Because who can forget the classic line, “Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.”
When do you open gifts?
We used to open one gift on Christmas Eve, and the rest on Christmas morning. That tradition has kind of dissolved, and we simply open everything on Christmas morning. I don’t think the presents are as important as they once were to us, so waiting those extra couple of hours is no big thing.

Do you believe in Santa?
Funny story – one of my teachers in elementary school called my parents because evidently I was going around telling everyone in the class that Santa wasn’t real. Who knew I had such cruelty in me?

Not amused
What is your happiest Christmas memory?
My favorite Christmas memories have to be when allllll of my family is together. Or at least, a big part of it. See, most of my family lives in Philadelphia, so getting together for the holidays would most rationally mean us going to Philly. And holiday traveling is hard, and expensive, and sometimes (okay, all the time) stressful. And as much as I love traveling, I prefer to do it during off-times. So it’s not often when there’s a lot of us celebrating Christmas, but I sure do enjoy the times when it has been.

What famous person would you most like to encounter under the mistletoe?
J.J. Watt. I’m currently on a mission – along with a few co-workers – to date J.J. He has three criterion:
  1. Being okay with the craziness of his current life – CHECK. I need my own space, so that wouldn’t be a problem.
  2. Would be okay staying in and having a low-key Friday night watching a movie – YES, J.J., sign me up!
  3. Would enjoy a Saturday night bonfire –  I mean, I have nothing against bonfires, so..
Plus, he sees himself coaching high school football in the future. YES, YES, and YES!

When it comes to decorations, are you a Griswald or a Grinch?
Probably somewhere in between. I don’t want the decorations to look tacky, but I am definitely a fan of decorating. Some houses do this really well – there’s not too much going on, but they’re definitely in the Christmas spirit.  

If you win "Most Wattage," maybe you've done too much
What is your favorite version of a Christmas song?
My favorite Christmas songs are “Hallelujah, What a Savior” and “O Holy Night.” My favorite Christmas line of all-time has to be “A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices!” How can you not get chills when you hear that?

Have you had any traumatic Christmas-related experiences?
I think one thing that makes the Christmas season a little bit difficult is the anniversary of my Granny’s death just four days before Christmas. This Monday will mark three years, and it’s still hard to believe that we do everyday life without her. If anyone was the definition of “Christmas spirit,” and the selfless attitude that comes along with it, it would be her. She loved seeing the look on your face when you opened a present, and she never expected anything in return, always expressing genuine surprise when anyone got her anything. Not that she didn’t think we wouldn’t get her presents, but she just really loved giving, and she never once asked for anything. Not one time.


What would be an age appropriate gag gift for most of your friends?
Hmm.. that’s a great question! Perhaps the World's Largest Coffee Cup, because my friends are all major coffee people. Or is the World's Largest Wine Glass an option?

Because we like wine
Would you rather be a partridge in a pear tree or a lord a-leaping and why?

Lord-a-leaping? That sounds active, and you know I’m all about that!

Catch you guys tomorrow! My goal is to post every day over break, but we'll see how long that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS