Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Student Quotes Year Two, Round Two

Happy Tuesday! And happy first official day of ... winter? I'm not sure how the weather is where you live, but it's about 80 degrees with 100% humidity here in Houston. Ideal Christmas weather, no?

But this guy found some Christmas spirit on our morning walk
But before this toasty Tuesday wraps up, I want to wrap up my third semester of teaching with yet another round of student quotes. I'm constantly reminded how funny high schoolers are, and though my students drove me up the wall these last few weeks, I also thank my lucky stars that I've got the very best job around. So, here's a little bit of lighthearted reading to enjoy on this Tuesday evening.

Your essay has me feeling some type of way
Number 2
Again, number 2
They love that candy jar
Great start to your essay
10. Student: "Miss T, you know how I can come to you for anything, right?"
Me: "Right."
Student: "Well, Kobe's retiring and ... he's my favorite player!"
As sad as I am to hear that one of the greats is retiring from the NBA, there's really not much I can do to help you with that one.
9. Last week was rough. Really rough. My students were ready for a break, I was ready for a break, but we still have final exams. In making them do their final exam reviews, one student asked me "Why I gotta have so much attitude," while another told me that "I was getting on [his] nerves." Sue me for making them do the work that is going to help them in the long run.
8. We were reading an article that talked about voting. I asked my students if they were going to vote when they became old enough. One student's response? "I'm not going to vote" ... "I'm going to BE the president." I hope you do, and I hope you remember me when you're in th White House.
7. We were reading The Odyssey, and we came to the end when we learn of Penelope's 100% faithfulness to her husband. And we can't say the same about Odysseus. But one student calls out, "Man, I need to find a girl like Penelope." That you do, sir.
6. We were FIFTEEN weeks into the semester. I've only been writing on the board all year. As I'm writing something on the board a student calls out, "Miss T, how long have you been left-handed?" #observant, right?
5. In my Reading classes, I gave my students a couple of days to catch up on missing assignments in all of their classes. A student asked me to give her all of her missing assignments, so I asked her to check GradeSpeed and tell me what she's missing. Her response? "Can you look? GradeSpeed be makin' me sad lately." Me too. Me too.
4. Again, in my Reading classes, we were doing a mini-research assignment. One of the events that could be researched was the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. I was sitting with a group of students so that they would remain on task, and one student turns around and asks me, "Wasn't it John Doe who killed Abraham Lincoln?" At least the John part was right.
3. We were reading a story that mentioned The Flying Dutchman. I asked if any of them knew what that was and, "DUH, Miss T. It was in an episode of Spongebob!" I mean, DUH.
2. I'm not entirely sure how this one came about, but I'm standing up at the front of the room when a student says to me, "You need to have kids; you're going to be a live mom." I honestly doubt that, but I'll take the compliment.
1. And the number one quote has to be when a student came to my room for lunch tutorials. She had quite a bit of make-up work to finish due to being absent from school a couple of days. In all seriousness she turns to me and asks, "Can I have your number? I need help. We can FaceTime." In your wildest dreams.

And then you can't forget the time a student calls out, "Miss! There's a roach!" And I literally jumped on top of a desk only to see that it was a miniscule insect crawling across the floor. One of my finer moments, that's for sure.

And that's all I've got for you guys today. Hopefully I can check back in with you guys tomorrow. Three sleeps to Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kelli. Wish you a very blessed and joyous Christmas season and a very bright, prosperous and Christ centered New year. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come to Mumbai with your frineds to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kelli. Wish you a very blessed and joyous Christmas season and a very bright, prosperous and Christ centered New year. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come to Mumbai with your frineds to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS