Sunday, September 16, 2012

Food Throwback

Going along with my throwback theme, I have decided that today's survey will be a glimpse into my childhood food preferences. I got this survey from Beyond Bananas, and I think you might agree with me when I say my taste buds, as well as my knowledge of smart food choices, have changed a bit over the years!

Favorite Cereal:  Either Froot Loops, Cap'n Crunch (or the berries in Cap'n Crunch), or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. All quality choices. I also went through a major Cheerios phase later in life, aka the high school days. I was a huge cereal eater, and I didn't like milk even back then, so I just ate it straight out of the box and I'm not even exaggerating when I say there were days that I ate an entire box in one day.



Favorite Breakfast Food: Jimmy Dean Sausage Biscuits or S'mores Pop Tarts. Y-U-M.


Drink Preference: Like I have mentioned before, I have never been a soda drinker, but I was a MAJOR apple juice fan. So much so that my mom asked my doctor if drinking so much apple juice was a problem. I think she was mainly concerned about the large intake of of sugar that was happening. The  worst part of it? I only liked it warm.

Favorite Lunchable: Lunchables were the BEST. My parents spoiled me and I had them in my lunch quite often. I loved the pizza and nacho lunchables, although any lunchable would please me! Well, except for those of the hamburger and hot dog variety. 


Favorite School Lunch: Whew. That's a toughie! My lunches didn't change much throughout the year, but what most of my lunches consisted of over the years was a peanut butter sandwich on white bread, some sort of fruit, crackers, cookies, and some candy thrown in by my Granny. I also ate my lunch around 10:00am because I just got SO hungry that I couldn't possibly wait to dig in until lunch time. That probably came as a result of the pop tarts and sugary cereal I was eating in the mornings before school. 
I always had candy in my lunch, and Dove Chocolates were one of my favs!
Favorite Cookie: Otis Spunkemeyer. Chocolate chip. Hands down.

Favorite Snacks:  I am going to have to steal this from Beyond Bananas, because I loved me some Funyuns. My parents HATED them, because they claimed they made my breath stink (they did), but they were oh-so good! I also loved goldfish, animal crackers, and does ice cream count as a snack? Because I ate it pretty much every day after school.



Favorite Home-Cooked Dinner: My grandmother made the best chicken and rice, and I specifically remember requesting and looking forward to it after I returned home from spending a few days in Galveston with a friend. It was seriously the best, and I should really ask for that recipe - it's a good one to have around!

Favorite Restaurant Dinner: Even as a child, I think Hungry's was one of my favorites. The kids chicken fettuccine alfredo - two, please! I also loved 59 Diner and Fuddruckers.

Ice-Cream Truck Snack: Either the Tweety Bird popsicle, remember those?, or the Chocolate Cookie Cone. Chocolate on chocolate on chocolate. Sign me up!

Favorite Fruit: Watermelon and cantaloupe. I devoured that stuff. I also loved eating apple slices at soccer games.

Favorite Vegetable: Again, stealing from Beyond Bananas here, but definitely corn on the cob. I loved that stuff, and quite frankly, corn was one of the few vegetables I would actually eat. I wanted nothing to do with broccoli, but I did really like green beans. My parents never made me eat vegetables I didn't like just to say that I ate some vegetables, they made stuff that I liked, ie corn and green beans. 


I think we can all agree that my eating habits have definitely changed over the years, whether that be as a result of changing taste buds or just wisening up in terms of making better food choices. That being said, I am thankful that I had parents that allowed me to eat pretty much what I wanted. Obviously, they set restrictions - I could only have a few cookies at a time, and I had to finish my dinner before having any dessert. They wanted me to have a balanced diet, but they also wanted me to enjoy my childhood and if that meant eating ice cream every day after school (okay, and sometimes at night, too), then so be it. I am also glad that my diet no longer consists of Funyuns, but I am not sure I would be able to turn down a Tweety bird popsicle if I happened to be near an ice cream truck!

Question of the day:

What was your absolute favorite snack as a child? Favorite restaurant? How have your food choices changed over the years?

I would say that the biggest change for me is the ice cream. I am not exaggerating when I say I ate it almost every day after school - a mix of chocolate and mint chocolate chip, to be specific - and obviously, that habit had to stop for a number of reasons. I do, however, indulge in fro-yo quite often (as you have probably noticed by now), so I guess old habits die hard, right?

P.S. If you want a laugh, continue reading. I wanted to have actual pictures for this post, as opposed to images from the Internet, so I went to HEB for the sole purpose of taking these pictures. Please, feel free to judge me. As luck would have it, I ran into one of my best friends as I was on this mission. Thankfully, she knows me well enough to know that this is definitely something I would do. I have no shame. The things I do for the blog!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS