Monday, September 17, 2012

Betty Crocker

Happy Monday, everyone! Today is a great Monday because tonight is the KICK-OFF WYLDLIFE CLUB! I love my girls, I love my team, and this is going to be one crazy awesome semester! The theme tonight is Bigger, Better, Best, and we have some awesome games and ideas coming your way tonight. So, if you are a middle-school-aged student at Murchison Middle School or any of the surrounding private schools, you are not going to want to miss this!

Now, not to toot my own horn, but I have created a few dynamite recipes these past few days, and I would love to share them with you guys. I have come to the discovery that I love cooking almost as much as I love baking, and I have had so much fun just throwing together some recipes, a little unsure of how they would turn out.

After campaigners on Friday, I came home with one thing on my mind: sloppy joes. I am a huge fan of this comfort food, and I decided to whip up my own recipe with the help of a Tomlinson-family favorite: Manwich. To create these sloppy joes, I first cooked the lean ground turkey on medium heat until my food thermometer read 165 degrees fahrenheit. While the turkey was cooking, I chopped up some zucchini, red pepper, and onion

Fun fact: chopping onions does indeed make you cry
and threw that in the pan before adding a touch of Manwich sauce and letting it cook for a few more minutes before putting a generous helping on a toasted English muffin and enjoying it alongside some sauteed zucchini.


I was so glad that I made enough to last me two days, because it made lunch the next day pretty darn easy. It tasted just as great the next day with some sauteed broccoli, and I already can't wait to recreate this recipe. It was a winner!


Ingredients you will need for this recipe:
  • Lean Ground Turkey
  • Manwich sauce
  • Red Pepper
  • Onion
  • Zucchini
Seriously, that's all I used! Feel free to get more creative with it, but it tasted pretty darn good with just those five ingredients. I can't wait to experiment with some added flavors!

Last night I returned home from some incline treadmill walking at the gym and I wasn't sure what I wanted for dinner. I had some tilapia in the freezer, but I just don't care much for the taste of this particular brand of tilapia by itself. That's when it came to me: fish tacos. Fish tacos are one of my very favorite meals, and I will almost always order it if I see it on a menu. Well, why not try my hand at some homemade fish tacos? I bathed my tilapia in lemon juice and lemon pepper to add some flavor before throwing it in the oven for 13 minutes and setting to work on preparing my tacos.

I had just purchased some corn tortillas, so I threw some diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, black beans, and salsa onto two of them. All I needed was the tilapia to come out of the oven and I would be able to judge my abilities in the kitchen.


The verdict? Two thumbs up! They were absolutely delicious, and I feel confident that I am going to be able to finish off this bag of tilapia with no trouble at all.

Breakfast + Workout

This morning took me to my trusty treadmill as I completed a little over five miles in 45-minutes. I loosely followed a treadmill workout created by Carrots 'n' Cake, but I changed the speeds up a bit. I am really working on my speed because I am a pretty competitive person, and as I finished my last half-marathon in under two hours, I would love to do the same for the Houston half, but hey, just finishing is something to be proud of in my book! I came home to whip up a little breakfast for which I cannot take any of the credit. That honor goes to Chocolate Covered Katie for creating this recipe: Pumpkin Pie Boatmeal (Baked Oatmeal).

I have mentioned before that I am not an oatmeal fan, but baked oatmeal is a way to sort of trick myself into liking it. I decided on the pumpkin flavor because the official start of fall is right around the corner, and it seemed perfect for this coolish morning. It was super tasty, and left me searching high and low for more recipes calling for the use of pumpkin. Go out and treat yourself to a can of pumpkin today, I promise you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS