Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We Remember

I remember exactly where I was on September 11, 2001. I was in my fourth grade classroom, and we were supposed to be heading to specials, PE to be specific, when we were told that we were to stay in our classrooms and the PE, music, and art teachers would come to us. The teachers told us that we had to stay inside because of a problem in the ozone. I remember being afraid to even leave the classroom and get a drink of water. One by one parents started coming to pick up their children, mine included, and as we were walking to the cafeteria to pick up my brother, my mom told me what had happened. Being nine years old, I don't think I quite understood just how tragic it really was, at least until I got home and saw what was happening on TV. I just remember being scared enough to not want to ride my bike home that day and making my dad go and pick it up on his way home from work.
BOGO, filled with American flags and surrounded by notecards for people to write their thoughts about 9/11
It has been eleven years and I am still terribly affected by what happened.  I get emotional every time I hear the song by Alan Jackson, or I read news stories, or I see a video that features someone telling his or her story. I am strangely interested in learning about 9/11, and though this is the most tragic thing for which I have been alive, it has also brought about an unbreakable sense of American pride. Amidst all of the election drama and unavoidable disagreements, Americans can band together and know that when it comes down to it, we are one. We are all Americans, and I would venture to say that most of us remember exactly where we were and exactly what we were doing when we heard the news. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragic event, and my unending thanks are with those who serve our country day in and day out. You are heroes and there will never be enough words to express our undying gratitude.
UT remembers
I leave you with a few quotes that really show the spirit of our wonderful country:
  • These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of America's resolve. - George W. Bush
  • United we stand. In darkness we shine brighter. 
  • The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom. --Rudolph W. Giuliani
  • You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy. --Colin Powell
  • Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. - President George W. Bush
Never forget, and God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS