Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Green Goddess Pizza

Good morning, and happy Tuesday! Isn't it nice that today is like a Monday, but it's already Tuesday?  And I hope you all enjoyed a fabulous holiday weekend. Fourth of July is one of my absolute favorite holidays - rivaling Thanksgiving for the top spot - because of all that it stands for. I love traveling, and I love discovering, exploring, and becoming immersed in other countries. I will never stop being thankful for the opportunity to be able to do that. However, every time I step off the plane at George Bush Intercontinental Airport, I'm reminded of how great this country is, and how there is nowhere I would rather live than in the United States of America. Freedom certainly doesn't come free, but we're so lucky to be able to celebrate the freedoms that we have because of those who have so selflessly fought for it. And in this crazy year of politics - something I'm not even going to begin to discuss here - it's nice to take a step back and remember that we are a nation united as ONE. Regardless of political party, religion, gender, sexuality, race, and so on and so forth. So, while I'm glad to watch fireworks and eat burgers and dress up in my best red, white, and blue attire, I'm even more glad to be able to celebrate FREEDOM. Most importantly, the total freedom that we have in Christ.


One of the most elaborate cakes I've ever made
Lady Liberty
My Fourth of July weekend was excellent, though. I got to spend time with three of my medical school friends - on separate occasions, as they have officially entered the crazy third year of hospital rotations - I ran nearly ten miles in the scorching July heat, watched the annual Third of July fireworks at Sugar Creek Country Club with my dad, brother, and Mack, and rollerbladed through the Heights decked out in America attire with Amira. Temperatures were scorching, but there was still lots of fun to be had.

Mack's first fireworks experience!
We're coming for you, Rio
And now, I have a recipe to share with you guys. It's so easy that I'm not sure it can constitute as a recipe, but it's way too good not to share. So, I present to you, Green Goddess Pizza.

The inspiration for this pizza came from a picture of pizza that I saw while perusing Instagram (classic), and I just couldn't get it out of my head. And what better time for a veggie-topped pizza than after a sweaty 10-mile run?

Green Goddess Pizza

Ingredients:
  • 1 Flatout Multigrain with Flax Flatbread
  • Low-sodium tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 1/4 zucchini, sliced and chopped
  • 1/4 squash, sliced and chopped
  • 1/4 cup asparagus, chopped
  • 1/4 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Brussels sprouts, chopped
  • 1/4 mushrooms, sliced
  • Handful of onions, diced
  • 1/4 cup chicken breast, cooked and diced
  • Lemon pepper

*All of these amounts of approximate - you may use more or less depending on your preferences, and the size of your pizza

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Spread tomato sauce on the wrap
  3. Spread spinach evenly on top of the tomato sauce
  4. Spread vegetables evenly on top of the spinach
  5. Intersperse chicken evenly among the vegetables
  6. Sprinkle lemon pepper on top of the entire creation
  7. Place pizza on top of a foil-lined baking sheet and cook for 17 minutes
  8. Remove, slice - if desired, and enjoy!

A healthy, yet delicious, way to enjoy one of everyone's favorite meals. And while I did not put cheese on my pizza, as I am lactose intolerant, you could easily add it on top of the tomato sauce before adding the vegetables. This pizza is easily customizable to your favorite toppings, but in order to keep it healthy, try and stick to lots of greens.

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS