Friday, July 1, 2016

Things I'm Loving Friday XLV

And now that I've officially decided that I'm back on my blogging game, I am pulling one of my fitnessandfroyo traditions way out of vault - Things I'm Loving Friday, which is where I share with my faithful readers (seriously, you have to be really faithful if you're still following me at this point) some of the things I'm currently loving.

The Five-Minute Journal
I bought this in a moment of weakness while perusing Paper Source in Highland Village. Note to self: Never go to Paper Source (or Target, for that matter) without a purpose. But I don't think this purchase was necessarily a bad one. In fact, I know it wasn't. And I love writing and journaling, but sometimes it's hard to find the time to really sit down and commit myself to it. Which is where the five-minute part comes in. And I love that it allows me to set goals, celebrate the big and small in every day, and give myself daily affirmation -- something I'm not entirely comfortable doing. Life gets busy, but we all have five minutes to put toward our overall happiness and mindset.



Hopdoddy Burger Bar
I know that I have previously posted about the deliciousness that is Hopdoddy. However, this time I got to enjoy my favorite burger without having to drive all the way to Austin. Though I did still have to wait in an epic line. But I digress. Hopdoddy officially opened its Houston doors in the hoity toity (and I say that in the nicest way possible) River Oaks District at the very end of May, and my brother and I built up our appetites while waiting in the hour+ long line, only to leave with happy hearts and happy stomachs. I don't know what it is, but I think the fresh ingredients and careful attention to every single burger has something to do with it. And for all my vegetarian friends out there - there is always a veggie option on the menu. And I hear the spiked milkshakes are to die for.


Greek for me, and Buffalo Bill for Daniel
Soul Cycle
I took my first Soul Cycle class while visiting my cousin in New York City last summer, and I don't know how much I actually enjoyed it. To start, it was my first cycling class in close to a year. And then you have to factor in the fact that I was taking this class with a bunch of glamorous New Yorkers (who apparently don't work) who take this class on a daily basis. And their legs were moving SO FAST. I thought I was in shape. But I can't deny that it was an addictive party-on-a-bike, calorie-burning, total-body workout. And just like Hopdoddy, it has finally arrived in Houston.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how I can possibly afford to take these classes on a semi-regular basis. Help a teacher out, will ya?



Acai Bowls
Some of you were probably rolling your eyes at the mention of Soul Cycle. I'm falling into the latest trend, right? Well, acai bowls are right on up there with Soul Cycle. But I don't even care how "basic" this makes me because acai bowls are dang tasty, healthy, filling, and refreshing on a hot summer's day. What is an acai bowl, you ask? It's basically a smoothie in a bowl. And acai is actually a berry popular in South America, but its health benefits - and great taste - have intrigued the rest of the world. Acai bowls are plentiful here in Houston, but they will cost you a pretty penny. And you can certainly make them from the comfort of your own home, but getting the right consistency is absolutely key. My favorite acai bowl spots? Tout Suite and Sustain Juicery.



A Man Called Ove
I can't remember if I wrote about this, but I set a 2016 reading goal for myself: 25 books. And impressively enough, I'm over halfway there. Which is great, because we're officially halfway done with 2016 (how?), and my pace is sure to slow once volleyball season hits. And while I've surprisingly loved every book that I've read this summer, I absolutely devoured this one. I mean, I was quietly wiping away tears on a bus in Argentina as I finished. It's an absolutely beautiful novel, and one of my favorite quotes was one that stopped me in my tracks, and made me realize just how precious our time with other people really is.

“...all people at root are time optimists. We always think there's enough time to do things with other people. Time to say things to them. And then something happens and then we stand there holding on to words like 'if'.”

And that's that. I hope you guys have a most wonderful holiday weekend planned. I love celebrating the Fourth of July, and while I usually find myself somewhere other than Houston, I'm more than content staying close to home - hanging with my family, friends, pup, and maybe trying out a couple of new recipes. Stay tuned!


July 4th, 2015 -- Town Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS