Friday, July 29, 2016

Things I'm Loving Friday XLVIII

Happy Friday! Today is my last real Friday of freedom, if you will, as volleyball starts Monday, and inservice the following Monday. So what will I be doing on my last Friday of freedom, you ask? Well, I'll likely be driving circles around Houston as I try and cross every last thing off of my to-do list. Once volleyball and inservice come around, I don't have a whole lot of time for extracurricular activities. After all, I've got practice and meetings and classroom set-up. Last year I was consistently the last car in the parking lot. And while that will probably be the case this year as well, at least I can go home and pass out on the couch.

But first, a workout. And before that, a blog post. Here are some things I'm loving lately, with a little bit of a twist. 

for taste: 18 Nutrient-Rich Power Foods
Calling all athletes! If you're not sure what foods you should be eating, this article is the one for you. From endurance training to illness prevention, many of these foods are easy to incorporate into your weekly recipes. And though I probably won't be making sardines a part of my daily diet, you already know dark chocolate is something I eat on the daily. Along with honey and flax seeds, and I'm obviously a sucker for sweet potato fries. 
Chocolate + cinnamon
for inspiration: Simone Biles
Don't feel like working out? Take one look at Simone Biles and maybe you'll think again. This girl is the real deal, and I could not be more excited to watch her bring home (literally, she's from Spring!) the gold at the Olympics. But she hasn't met such success by simply sitting on her couch and watching episode after episode of The Middle. She has found success by putting in hours upon hours of work at the gym. And okay, we might not be able to flip and tumble quite like she does, and seeing as I can't even do one pull-up, I'm definitely not going to be climbing ropes legless anytime soon. But this is all the motivation I need to complete my dreaded tempo run.
(Source)
for a laugh: Bored Teachers: A Year in the Life of a Teacher
I'll let this video speak for itself. Teachers in August are wide-eyed and bushy-tailed, and by May, I consider a day that I've taken attendance to be a good day. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But the reason teachers get summer vacation? We need it in order to keep our sanity and recharge for the year ahead. Teaching is a job that requires you to be "on" at all times, so we need a few days where we're allowed to be "off." And if that means drinking wine out of a glass the size of a horse, so be it.


for the body: Five-Minute Expert Guide to Running in Humid Weather
It's hot and humid here in Houston, and I know we're not the only ones experiencing that combination. But that doesn't mean you have to call it quits on the outdoor workouts. You just have to be smart about it. That means not running the heat of the afternoon, staying hydrated before, during, and after the run, and don't stress too much about your time. The higher the temp, the higher your minute per mile. And that's okay. And most importantly, know when to take your workout inside. Or else you'll end up begging the valet guys at Hungry's for a water bottle. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

for the ears: Rise Up by Andra Day
This isn't a brand new song, but I just recently became obsessed. If this isn't the ultimate feel-better anthem, I don't know what is. Maybe you've had one of those days - kind of like me yesterday - or you're fed up with all the bad news you hear on the news day after day after day, and you need a pick-me-up. This is my new go-to. I know I'll need it many a time as I attempt to tackle the most hardcore running schedule I've ever been given. But I'll rise up over any tough training days.
(Source)
for the mind: 31 Life Lessons They Didn't Teach You in School
You guys know I'm a teacher. And it's in my job description to teach the cardinal rules of reading and writing. But it's also my unofficial job to make sure that my students leave my classroom with lessons they can carry with them for years and years to come. And though the title of this article deals with things you don't learn in school, I think each and every one of the items on this list is something I can teach my kids using literature as my pipeline. My favorite? Never underestimate the value of a handwritten note. Especially in this age of technology.


And with that, I'm off. I've got another jam-packed day today, and I'm hoping to crawl into bed at a somewhat decent hour tonight. Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS