Friday, December 9, 2016

Things I'm Loving Friday XLIX

Happy FriYAY! It's a cold one down here in Houston, so I can only assume that it's even chillier in other parts of the state and country. But it’s been a hot minute since I have posted a Things I’m Loving Friday, but I’m committed to making this blog a regular part of my routine again, so here it goes!

Powerbeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones
I finally bit the bullet and solved my headphone problem. I figured if I’m going to get serious about one day (hopefully in the near-ish future) qualifying for the Boston Marathon, then I had better get the gear that will help make it possible. Not that there’s anything wrong with the headphones that I currently use, but on my longer, faster runs, they sometimes fall out of my ears. And then there are the days when I just don’t know what to do with the length of the wires. You would think after five solid years of running I would have it figured out, but these wireless headphones are the answer to all my problems. It took me a little while to get used to over-the-ear headphones, but they stay on while I’m running, and in my opinion, the sound quality is excellent. As silly as it sounds, every second counts when it comes to qualifying for Boston, and I would hate for it to come down to a headphone malfunction.

(Source)
Longhorn Coaches
I’ll admit that I’m bragging a little bit with this one. It was the start of 3rd period yesterday, and our head football coach popped his head into my classroom just as I was explaining to my class what we were going to be doing that day, telling me to step outside for a minute because he had a surprise for me. My jaw dropped when I was greeted by two HUGE men wearing burnt orange Longhorn warm-ups. I quickly figured out that it was Oscar Giles and Michael Huff, who are football coaches at the University of Texas, and they were visiting Bellaire to, I assume, take a look at some of our football players. 



And I love to think that some of our students’ college football dreams could be coming true. It puts a smile on my face that is equivalent to the one I’m wearing as I got to put my horns up alongside two coaches who will hopefully help bring the winning tradition back to Longhorn football. I truly couldn’t stop smiling the entire rest of the day knowing that the people I work with not only knew how much it would mean to me to get to meet them, but that these two coaches took the time to shake my hand and thank me for the work that I’m doing. Hook ‘em horns!


Adidas Superstar
Guys, this pair of shoes was the best purchase I ever could have made. I bought them on such a whim – I saw someone at school wearing a pair of black and white Adidas Superstars, and it reminded me of the stylish orange and white pair I had back in the day. I did a quick search to see if there was anything in the red and white realm, because school spirit, obviously, and ever since I got them in the mail sometime around mid-October, I wear them to school at least once a week. They’re comfortable and stylish. I say this because I always get compliments from my students whenever I wear them. And when your students compliment you on your shoe choice, you know you’re rockin’ it.


Harry Potter and the Sacred Text
Podcasts are the new “it” thing these days. And I’ll admit that I’m jumping on board. My school next-door neighbor told me about this podcast, and being the Harry Potter lover that I am, I knew I had to check it out. I was driving from my apartment to the Memorial area in rush-hour traffic just this last week, and I had more than enough time to finish the first episode (?). And I absolutely loved it. I’m already a huge fan of Harry Potter, and one college summer I wrote an entire blog post about how much the Harry Potter series means to me, and how it’s more than just a “wizarding world.” It’s chock full of valuable lessons, and this podcast decodes the text in such a way that makes it meaningful to our own lives. Each episode explores a central theme, and even after listening to just one episode over the topic of commitment, I’m hooked.

(Source)
I don’t know if it’s just me, and I hope it’s not just me, but it’s so easy for me to get bogged down in my daily to-do list and all that I have to juggle. I feel as though the second my alarm clock goes off, I jump out of bed and my mind starts going. I think about all of the tasks that I need to complete that day and I rarely take time to appreciate the little things that are all around me. I’m so guilty of pulling out my phone while waiting in line at the grocery store instead of striking up a conversation with those around me. Granted, not everyone may want to have a conversation while in line at the grocery store, but you get what I’m saying. I can’t remember the last time – aside from Thanksgiving – I ate something without staring at a television, computer or phone screen. I was actually walking up the stairs to my classroom just this morning thinking about how so many of my students don’t know how to be alone with their thoughts, and then I had the haunting realization that maybe I don’t know how to be alone with my thoughts, either. So my goal going into the end of 2016 and the start of 2017 is to practice mindfulness.


And on that note, I'm off to enjoy a wild Friday night babysitting for some kids down the street from my parents house. I'm not complaining, because a night of Hungry's and watching Elf is surely in my future. And after a go-go-go week, I'll take a relaxed Friday night in. Hopefully I can stay awake longer than the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS