Friday, December 30, 2016

Things I'm Loving Friday LI

Happy LAST Friday of 2016! I know it's said at the end of every calendar year, but how are we at the end of another year? We're finally getting some cooler temperatures here in Houston, and I am loving it. It's nice to be able to wear yoga pants and a Nike dri-fit while running errands, and it's nice to not have to turn on the air conditioner in December, and it's especially nice to be able to run outside and actually enjoy it. Even if I did nearly blow over in the 30mph winds. 


But, it is Friday, so I'm going to end this year on our normal Friday note. With some Things I'm Loving!

Books by Jennifer Mathieu
Okay, I might be a little biased because not only do I get to work with this fabulous woman, I actually get to share my room with her. And she's got a little routine down - she'll come into my room before school and write her objectives on a small part of my board, and I love that part of the routine because it means I get to chat with her if I'm in my room at that time. And she doesn't just teach. She writes, too. She's a young adult novelist, and our English 1 PLC contemplated changing up our summer reading novel, so we decided to check out her first novel, The Truth About Alice. I tore through it in a day. I told her how much I loved her writing, and the next morning, I had a signed copy of her second novel, Devoted, sitting on my desk. I had finished it by the next morning. Her characters are so real, and she captures their thoughts and personalities so well that it's easy to understand why I couldn't stop reading.



Under Armour "Rule Yourself" Campaign
We all know that I'm borderline obsessed with the Olympics. Okay, maybe not borderline, but it's fine. I love this video for a couple of reasons. One, it takes away the idea that females are not as dedicated or strong when it comes to athletics (is that even still an idea?), and two, it shows how much work goes into just a couple minutes of fame on the biggest stage in sports. All elite athletes put in so much work, and make so many sacrifices in order to be the very best they can be. They'll be the first to tell you that it's not all smiles and sparkles, but I have no doubt that it's worth it. After all, "it's what you do in the dark that puts you in the light."


Hydro Flask 40 oz. Water Bottle
This water bottle was the best $40 I ever spent. I purchased this water bottle in the summer of 2015, and it has been by my side ever since then. Seriously. If any one of my students or coworkers saw this water bottle around the school, I'm fairly certain they would know it belongs to me. First of all, it's 40 oz, so it lasts me through a couple of class periods. Second, it keeps cold beverages cold, and though I can't personally attest to this, it also keeps hot beverages hot. It's easy to clean, they come in tons of fun colors, and it never sweats nor leaks. My Hydro Flask is my right-hand man, and I wouldn't make it through the school day without it.



HelloGoodbye Doormat
It only took me eight months to get a doormat, but hey, I finally did it. Better late than never, right? I found this gem of a doormat at Target for only $10. It's cute, it's sturdy, and gets the mud off of my feet and Mack's paws before we step foot inside my apartment. We won't talk about how I went to Target with the goal of picking this up, told myself I would pick it up from Guest Services on my way out, and made it to my next destination before realizing that I did not pick up the doormat. Whoops.


Running as the Thinking Person's Sport
If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a runner. You may think I'm crazy, but I fell in love with the sport six years ago and have never looked back. It keeps me in crazy good shape, it gets me outside, it challenges, and it gives me time to think. So I wasn't too surprised when I saw this article from the New York Times claiming running requires more higher-level thinking than many people may have thought. Researchers at the University of Arizona acted on their suspicions and found that running seems to be a "mobile math puzzle." It's not to say that runners are smarter than any other human beings, rather, runners have to play a lot of mental mind games to get to that finish line. Many have scoffed at this article and study because of the small number of subjects, but ask any runner about the concentration and discipline running requires.




Have a fabulous Friday! And here's a PSA - it's Harry Potter Weekend on FreeForm (formerly ABC Family). You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS