Thursday, August 22, 2013

Glory Days

Today was a good day. It started with a quiet morning swim at Gregory Gym, probably my last before school starts back up, followed up with a delicious peach-raspberry-banana smoothie on my beautiful drive home to Houston, and ended with an evening spent watching Stratford play in the SBISD volleyball tournament and eating Hungry's with my mom. So now that I've outlined the day, let's go into a little more detail, shall we?

Workout

When my alarm went off this morning, I immediately hit snooze. I stayed up later than usual reading last night, and then I didn't fall asleep right away. My hitting the snooze button was totally fine, as the outdoor lap pool didn't open until 9:00 this morning. I ended up getting up around 7:40am, giving myself plenty of time to eat a little something and pack up what I wanted to take home with me. Around 8:40am I biked on over to Gregory and I had the pool all to myself for a few minutes.


I swam a mile and a half this morning, though I felt as though I could have gone on forever. The sun was rising over the pool, and it allowed me a pretty sweet view of the top of our beautiful stadium. It's mornings like these that make me stop and appreciate the great school I get to attend.

Breakfast

I got back to the Clubhouse a little after 10:15am, where I quickly showered and loaded the rest of my belongings into my car. Just before I left, I used up the rest of my frozen peaches, frozen raspberries, and the lone banana on my banana hanger to make myself a little roadtrip snack. Those three fruits paired with flax milk, spinach, and chia seeds made for one delicious smoothie, that lasted all of five minutes into my drive.


My drive home was probably one of my favorites yet. Remember yesterday how I was worrying about the rain? Well, there wasn't a rain cloud in sight, and I don't think I could have asked for a more beautiful day to drive to Houston. When I looked out my window, it just screamed "Texas" at me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.



I got home right about 1:30pm, so I unloaded my car, made a quick grocery store run so that I would have something to eat for breakfast tomorrow, and then my mom made the familiar drive up to Stratford High School to watch the first round of the Spring Branch ISD volleyball tournament. This tournament holds a special place in my heart because we actually won the tournament my senior year of high school, and I even managed to add a little hardware to my own personal collection.


While the outcome was not quite what they were hoping for, I saw a lot of potential in the team, and their second match against Seven Lakes was really exciting. There were quite a few nail-biting rallies, and there is a really core group of players that made the games really fun to watch. And, as always, it made me really miss playing volleyball. There was nothing better than playing an intense game in which both teams are constantly trading points.

And after our time up at Stratford, my mom and I just had to make a stop to pick up dinner from Hungry's. Because everything on the menu is excellent, I had a hard time deciding what to order, but I eventually settled on the veggie black bean burger (sans cheese) with their baked french fries on the side. Topped with avocado and hot sauce, it just can't be beat, and I am unashamed to say that I ate every last bite.


Be on the lookout for more delicious Houston adventures throughout my time at home. I'm sure to hit all of my very favorites one last time before I head back to Austin for good. See you guys tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS