Saturday, August 3, 2013

Localeur

All right Austinites, Houstonians, and San Franciscans (?), this post is for you. I don't know how I got tuned into this company - maybe somebody retweeted them - but I am sure glad that I did. Localeur is a sort of travel company that "gives you a curated look into what it's like to be a local." What sets Localeur apart from other travel companies? True locals are the ones writing the articles; locals who have actual experience in the city for which they are doing the writing and reviewing. Localeurs write about what they feel passionate about; they write about what they would want to read if they were visiting the city. Their headline? "Experience destinations the same way locals do."

What does this include? Everything from nightlife to fitness to food. Best veggie burgers in Houston? Check. The best toy stores in Austin? Check. San Francisco's best fro-yo? Check. I have spent plenty of time on this website, perusing the various articles about cities I have grown to love. Each item featured in the articles has just a short blurb written about it - enough to keep you interested, but not so much that you get bored reading about it. So, you can see why it's easy to get sucked into reading list after list after list.

(Source)
So far, Localeur is only in three cities - Austin (where it started), Houston, and most recently, San Francisco. I may or may not have found my dream job. Writing about the hotspots and hidden gems in a city I know and love? What's not to love? If you are visiting one of these three cities, I highly recommend giving their website a read. Even if you are a local, you will be happy to discover many new-to-you restaurants, bars, and so much more.

Like I said, dream job right there. Anyway, back to the reason for this blog: fitness and food! I didn't set an alarm for this morning, and it felt so good just to wake up on my own around 8:00am, especially after waking up twice in the middle of the night. I got up and made a quick Central Market run, so that I could replenish my supply of watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. It took me long enough to realize it, but you really save so much money when you don't buy the pre-sliced fruit. Better late than never, right?

After my grocery store trip, I came home to make myself some scrambled egg whites and spinach. This was one of my better batches, and I enjoyed them alongside some blueberries and red grapes. I always eat way too many grapes, but they are just so easy to keep popping into your mouth without even noticing!


After breakfast, I headed up to the gym for a 10:00am cycling class. I never know how early I need to get there in order to get a spot in the class, so I always end up getting there a little bit too early. That doesn't bother me because I am able to set up my bike and get a little warm-up in before I start sweating uncontrollably. My cycling class today was tough, but nothing to write home about. I'm glad I did it, because it got me working hard for an hour, but I have definitely participated in classes more difficult than that one. But sometimes you just need to take it a little bit easy! At the conclusion of the class, I headed downstairs to complete round three of the 30 Day Ab Challenge, and three rounds of this very mini arm workout that looked like this:


After a shower and some errands, I found myself back at SRD working the late afternoon to close shift once again. I made myself a very late lunch/early dinner of roasted broccoli, zucchini, squash, grilled chicken, and fresh cherry tomatoes, all topped with salsa, 


and now I am here alternating between surfing the web, reading a surprisingly captivating book titled "Deeper Reading," and obviously, writing this blog post. An exciting Saturday night for this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS