Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sweaty Sunday

I hereby dub today Sweaty Sunday, at least in Austin, because thought the temperature isn't that high (at least in the morning), the humidity makes it feel like it's 105 degrees outside. And the humidity often makes it hard for me to motivate myself to get outside and go for a run, but this morning I was able to drag myself out of bed early enough to get in a good five mile run around Town Lake before I had to work at 10am. I originally planned to run one three mile loop around the lake and then walk the other, but after one loop, I still had some energy left in me, so I just kept running until I crossed Congress bridge, when I stopped to walk the last mile back to my car. I was a sweaty mess by the end of it, but I'm convinced that there's really no better feeling than the one that comes after a good run.

I returned to the Clubhouse to complete day four of the 30 Day Ab Challenge, shower, and make myself some breakfast before leaving for work. Though I ate two clementine oranges before my run, I was more than ready for my regular batch of scrambled egg whites and spinach, enjoyed alongside some freshly sliced watermelon and cantaloupe.


Survey

Keeping with the running theme, I have a few fun running questions for your reading enjoyment this fine Sunday morning. I apologize if you feel like you have read this survey before, as there is a chance it was posted last summer, too.

1. How long have you been running?
I didn't really start running until Christmas break of my first year of college. I signed up for the Austin half marathon that was to take place in February, but around early December I decided that I didn't really have it in me to run 13.1 miles, so I decided to just forgo the half and count my entrance fee as a donation to the LIVESTRONG foundation. Sometime after finals I decided that I might as well give it a shot, so I started running and I never looked back. Shout out to my friend Alex for being my "running coach," - for answering any and all running questions I have, and for encouraging me to just get out there and run.

I loved it so much that I did it again this year!
2. Why did you start running?
Really, it was all because I signed up for that half marathon, but maybe the real reason can be attributed to the fact that for my entire life, I've been an athlete. I've been a part of organized sports, which provided me with a constant challenge, a constant goal to meet. When I got to college, I didn't have that competition anymore, and subconsciously I knew that running would give me the challenge I was craving.

3. What is the furthest distance you have ever run?
13.1 miles

4. What is your best running memory?
Completing my first half marathon my freshman year of college. My mom came down to watch the race (more to make sure I made it through the race in one piece), and I had the best time running 13.1 miles through this wonderful city. I was a little unsure that I would actually be able to run the entire thing without stopping, but I did it, and I felt like I was on top of the world!

5. What shoes do you run in?
I am very loyal to my Mizunos. They are the best!


6. What are your favorite and least favorite distances to run or race?
I really like the 10K distance, and that distance is easily what I have done the most of, but I completed a 15K race this year, and I really enjoyed that one, too. I would have to say the 5K is probably my least favorite distance because by the time I get my speed up, the race is already over.

7. Do you have a running partner?
I tend to enjoy running by myself, because I use it as my much-needed "me time" in a day that is always filled with other people. I will say that once I start working a real job, I do hope to find a running group that is similar to the one some of my elementary teachers formed when training for the Houston marathon each year. It would be much easier to motivate myself if I knew someone was counting on me to be there!

It was a lot of fun to complete a race with my YoungLife team
8. What is your favorite place to run?
I love running around Town Lake here in Austin, but there is something special about running along the bayou in Houston, or through the neighborhood that I spent my entire life living in. It's the familiarity that appeals to me, I think.

My happy place - the bayou in Houston
9. What is your favorite running accessory?
My iPod, for sure. If I didn't have music to listen to, I am not sure that I would make it more than a mile.

10. Do you like outdoor or indoor running?
It just depends. I go through definite phases, but I find that I gravitate toward the treadmill in the summer months, while I tend to prefer outdoor runs throughout the rest of the year.

11. What is your favorite time of the day to run?
I prefer to run in the morning so that I can get it over with and not have it hanging over my head for the rest of the day, but I find that I enjoy evening runs the best.

12. What races have you ran?
Quite a few. I have run mud runs, turkey trots, a chocolate-themed run, a half marathon in the happiest place on earth, and even a few 10K's that took place halfway across the world in Barcelona. I love signing up for a new race because it gives me something to work toward.

IES Running Club after a 10K in Barcelona 
Color Run 5K 
Warrior Dash
13. What music do you listen to when running?
It's a huge variety. Anything from country to pop to rap (which is about the only time I listen to any sort of rap music).

14. What is the hottest or coldest weather you have ever run in?
I am sure the hottest would be some of these 100 degree temperatures here in Texas, but as for the coldest, I don't remember ever being colder than I was before the Disney half marathon, which took place in early January. I don't think my hands ever got warm!

15. What are some other exercises you love?
Swimming is my other love, and I try to do it two to three times a week, especially in the summer months when I can work on my one-piece tan. I also love spin classes, as well as strength training classes such as Felipe's Muscle Blast class at the MAC, or Les Mills BodyPump.

16. Are you currently training for something?
The Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco. I am so excited for this race. I am at the very beginning of my "training," but it's going pretty well so far.

(Source)
17. What are your current or future goals?
Eventually, I would love to complete a marathon. I would also love to compete in the Boston Marathon one day, but to even have a shot at running in that one, I would have to run at least one full marathon prior to Boston. We'll see, but I have been very tempted lately to sign up to run 26.2 miles. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my schedule this year is going to be pretty crazy, and if I am going to run a full marathon, I want to be able to run it to the best of my ability.

18. Advice for new runners?
I was once told to always keep a smile on my face while I'm running, that it will make other people think I'm crazy. So have fun with it, but stick to a training plan, and be consistent. Consistency leads to forming a habit, and that will only make you a better runner!

Have a happy Sunday, everyone! And I apologize for the slight change of font taking place in the survey portion of this post, but I am having some major font struggles this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS