Monday, December 12, 2011

Just Workin' on my Fitness

Seeing as one of the taglines of this blog is "fitness," I should probably start posting about it a little bit more, huh?


My friend Mary Ellen and I FOUR years ago before running Race for the Cure!
Let's rewind back to Friday, when I made my first post in a long while. Thursday night, after my last final exam, I told myself that I would simply let myself sleep in as late as my body wanted me to sleep. Well, turns out my body isn't capable of sleeping much past 8am! That is fine with me, because it gets me up and ready to greet the day, but after the semester of getting a lot less sleep than I would have liked, sleep is definitely a good thing and I know my body is craving it!

I ended up waking up at about 7:15am, so since I was already awake and showed no signs of going back to sleep, I decided to hit up the Gregory Gym pool to swim a couple laps, as I realized I hadn't been swimming in quite some time. It was SO cold outside and even the indoor pool was a little bit cold, but I bit the bullet and once I got going, I was fine. It just takes me a while sometimes! Later that day I went for a four(ish) mile run. Since I literally spent the entirety of Thursday studying and taking a test, I think my body was telling me to WORK IT OUT on Friday! I felt like I had endless energy, but that may have been the fact that I knew that I was completely DONE with school for five glorious weeks!

Saturday morning I woke up knowing that today had to be a longer run than usual. I am running a half-marathon in about three weeks and I don't know how prepared I am to do it! Although I only ran about seven miles, it felt GREAT, and had I not already programmed seven miles into my head before I began running, I probably could have gone even longer. It made me feel a little bit better about my upcoming half! I am hoping to squeeze in maybe a 9-miler and a 10-miler these next two Saturdays, but we'll see how the weather feels about that plan! Once I returned to SRD, I trekked down to the fitness room and did 100 pushups. Not all at once, of course! I did 5 sets of 20 (girly) pushups. While it was tough, it wasn't as tough as it usually was, so I may need to up my number of pushups that I am doing at a time, or take less time for my breaks in between sets!

My friend Sarah and I after the Blue Bell Fun Run in Brenham - we will be doing the Disney World Half Marathon together in January!
Yesterday I went on a little over a four-mile run. I'll be the first one to say that it was a pretty tough run for me. It was damp and cold all day and I had a hard time getting motivated enough to just go out and run! Once I finally got out there, I quickly realized that my legs were still recovering from that seven-mile run the day before. I pushed through the entire four miles, but I was grateful for every light that forced me to stop running, something that usually irritates me to pieces!

Last night I went to bed later than planned, but it was well worth it, but I still had the mindset that I was going to wake up at 7 and swim laps at Gregory to get my day going. I have quite a few things planned for today so I decided I may as well start it off on the right foot! I biked over to Gregory and although I had in my mind that I was only going to swim my usual 72 laps, I decided to up that to 96 laps, the equivalent of a mile and a half, because the pool at my gym at home is currently being renovated, and I will be unable to swim for TWO weeks! I guess that's a sign telling me I need to get my butt in gear and start RUNNING in preparation for my half-marathon!
Me during my 10-mile "Run for the Water" race a few weeks ago - courtesy of Kreutz Photography
I can't wait to write workout posts about my daily workouts that will take place at one of my favorite places in Houston: the Memorial Athletic Club, or as how it is usually referred, the MAC. I can't wait for some long, intense, winter break workout sessions! My gym is definitely one of the things I miss most while being away at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS