Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Black Bean Veggie Burgers

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I have a delicious and veggie-packed new recipe for you guys today, so let's get to it. Not only was it my first time making burgers, it was my first time using a George Foreman grill. My mom and I purchased one last Black Friday on a two-for-one deal, and my dad uses his all the time, but I had yet to give it a shot. Until today, that is. I was browsing through my recipes board on Pinterest, and I came across a pin that took me to a link with eight recipes for homemade veggie burgers. I had a few of the ingredients already on hand for a couple of different burgers, so I threw together my own recipe, unsure of how it would turn out. My George Foreman experience and the burgers both were excellent, and chances are, you probably have a majority of these ingredients already on hand.

Ingredients
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans 
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
Directions
1. Preheat grill or stovetop to medium
2. Place half of the black beans into a food processor, along with the other ingredients (you can do this in phases, ie, process a few of the ingredients until smooth, then add in the remaining)

Does that look appetizing, or what?
3. Process until smooth, then add in the remaining black beans
4. Process until smooth and using either a spoon or your bare hands, form into patties and place onto grill or frying pan (which has been sprayed down with cooking spray)


5. Grill for three to four minutes per side (or until browned), remove, and enjoy with whatever condiments and toppings you prefer!


Makes: six

I used a FlatOut Foldit Flatbread, spread some red roasted pepper hummus on it, placed the burger on one side, pickles on another, and topped the burger with a pinch of spicy brown mustard. I had a side of cantaloupe to go with it, and my stomach is currently very satisfied.


And now I'm off to shower from my 12:00pm spin class (gross that I still haven't showered, I know), and finally get to work on some homework. Have a great rest of your afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS