Saturday, September 21, 2013

Challenge Nation Urban Adventure Race

Happy Saturday, everyone! It is an absolutely picture perfect day here in Austin, Texas, which almost makes me feel bad about not attending the UT game tonight. Almost, but not quite bad enough to guilt me into going to the game. But hook 'em, right?

Anyway, I believe we left off with my cousin's art show in downtown Austin. I made my way over to Congress Avenue and found parking easily (and surprisingly), before meeting up with my uncle, my cousin, and his friend. You will have to excuse me if any of my terminology i wrong, as I know next to nothing about art, especially contemporary art. Anyway, we went inside The Contemporary Austin, which is quite the swanky art gallery. My cousin led us upstairs so we could see the piece he had been working on, alongside a woman named Marianne Vitale, for the past few months. It is a sculpture, very similar to her 2012 piece, "Burned Bridge," 

(Source)
but this one is a "large-scale sculptural structure of two intersecting bridges." Though I was a bit unimpressed with the actual piece of art upon first seeing it, I quickly became more impressed upon looking through the photo album of the making of the sculpture. There was a lot of burning and welding involved, and it was really cool to see all that went into the creation of the sculpture. Like I said, I am the farthest thing from knowing anything about art, but it was cool to see so many people react in such a positive way to it. And, of course, it was great to see my cousin, tattoos and all.

My art show debut
After the opening, I made an appearance at my friend Alex's 22nd birthday celebration. I didn't stay very long, mainly because I was feeling exhausted from all the events of the day, but I got to catch up with two of my good high school friends, as well as chat with a girl who is currently in her student teaching semester at Westwood (what I will be doing next semester), and it was so reassuring to talk to someone who literally knows exactly what I am going through, and telling me that I will survive this year, and that I will even have fun doing it.

Sam, me, Alex
Sarah and I stayed up late talking, so when I woke up this morning, I was not especially feeling like crossing a run off of my list, but I knew I would feel so much more productive if I got it done early in the day. The temperature and weather were so perfect this morning, but because I didn't want to run through the mud from last night's downpour, so I settled with six miles on the treadmill, promising myself that next week is the week I will run nine miles. Hold me to it!

Challenge Nation Urban Adventure Race

And now I have some exciting news to report. Megan from Challenge Nation reached out to me about promoting an urban adventure race that is coming to Austin next month. Though I will not be able to participate due to the fact that I will be exploring San Francisco, I thought it sounded like an awesome race, so I was more than happy to promote it.

(Source)
The Challenge is an "Amazing Race" style team competition that has you running all over the city using your brain to solve tricky clues, exploring and discovering new parts of Austin, and getting a little bit of exercise along the way. This race requires a blend of speed and smarts in order to have a shot at winning any of the cash prizes. But don't worry, even if you don't win the race, you will be met with fun food and drink specials at the finish line, and there is even a costume contest. I am all about dressing up in fun and ridiculous costumes, so that alone would entice me to sign up!

(Source)
(Source)
Though I don't watch the Amazing Race, I have friends that do, and I think it would be really cool to participate in the actual Amazing Race. So, for all of you who have dreams of being on a reality television show, this race is great practice for it. Sign up here before September 25th to receive earlybird registration prices!

And now I'm off to get started on that essay that I have been putting off. Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS