Saturday, July 28, 2012

Houston, We Have a Winner

What did y'all think of the Opening Ceremonies last night? I actually didn't get to catch a lot of it live due to having to work the desk, but I watched videos and, of course, stayed updated via Twitter. I did get off work just in time to watch the USA athletes walk the arena and y'all, it brought tears to my eyes. The joy on these athletes faces was just the best thing - they are just as excited to be there as we are to watch it. Overall, I thought some aspects of the ceremony were rather strange, but done very, very well. I loved J.K. Rowling's reading and I have to say that the Queen's entrance was pretty darn cool!
(Source)
(Source)
J.K. Rowling reading Peter Pan (Source)
I can't wait to watch the big Lochte / Phelps showdown this afternoon - swimming is one of my very favorite events to watch. Swimming, diving, gymnastics, beach volleyball, and track and field have got to be my favorites (I have alerts on my phone!), but I will watch just about anything. Case in point: I am currently watching cycling as I type this post.

Now to the title of this post. Yesterday, Forbes released their list of coolest cities in America. What city topped that list? New York City? Los Angeles? Austin? While they all made the list, none of them topped it. Houston, my hometown, was named the coolest city in America. Houston, home of NASA, 
NASA (Source)
the eighth wonder of the world,
Astrodome (Source)
the first word spoken from the moon, excellent shopping, and some hot and humid weather, may not be the first city that comes to mind when you think of cool cities, but it is very up-and-coming. At least according to this list, it is! This list took into account recreational opportunities, diversity, employment, pro and college sports teams, and the number of people who relocated there in 2011, among other things. Surprisingly, Houston actually experienced job growth last year, as well as many new stylish housing developments, restaurants, and museums. There is getting to be more and more to do, and I am very proud to call this place home.
My pretty friends at an Astros game in 2010
Supporting our home town 'Stros
I have never had anything against Houston, sure, it doesn't have a Town Lake or a South Congress, but it does have Memorial Park and the Heights. There are some darn good restaurants, and I constantly find myself missing peaceful bike rides on the bayou. Unfortunately, I didn't discover some of Houston's hidden gems until right before I left for college, and now I love returning to Houston to explore these new discoveries, as well as visit some of my favorites. My appreciation for Houston definitely increased as I moved away, as is the case for almost everyone, and I can honestly say that if I end up living in Houston after I graduate, you won't hear any complaints from me. There is no greater feeling than driving down I-10 east on a sunny day, blaring my country music, knowing the next exit I take will take me home.
Ruggles Green - one of my favorite restaurants, in CityCentre, one of the cities newest attractions

Amira, Lindsay, and I enjoying a beautiful night at CityCentre
Hungry's - my all-time favorite restaurant ever! 
Houston is just one hour away from the beaches of Galveston
Gayle and I at the Houston Rodeo - an annual tradition! 
Gayle and I on our favorite ride at the rodeo
There's nothin' better than the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo!
Question of the morning:

What do you think makes a city "cool?" Was your city on the list?
I have to agree with Forbes - there's something about that Houston skyline (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS