Friday, July 13, 2012

Struggle Run

I woke up this morning at exactly 6:06am. Why, you ask? The sidewalks at SRD are being re-cemented and they decided to start at 6:00am. It makes sense, as the sun won't be quite as brutal at that time of morning, and we were warned, so I can't complain too much there.

Plus, I was able to fall right back asleep until my alarm went off 45 minutes later, informing me that it was time to get up and go for a run. Last night I decided to brave the heat and humidity and go for a run, thinking that it would be somewhat bearable at 7:00am. I had seen other people doing it, so surely I could do it too. Wrong. I made it maybe a mile before having to stop and walk. I ran/walked a lap around Central Park on 38th Street before almost making it back to SRD without walking. It was definitely what I would call a struggle run! I don't know if it is the fact that I was pretty tired and sore from my other workouts this week, the heat and humidity in general, or that I am not quite used to running in these conditions. It is likely a combination of the three -- let's hope I can get it together soon!

My stomach was hurting a bit (I seriously think it was because of the heat and humidity) so I slowly made my way down to the SRD fitness center to try and salvage this workout. I had settled on just completing a killer arm workout when I remembered a workout that I had seen on my favorite blog, you guessed it, PBFingers. A couple weeks ago, she posted a "1000 Rep Workout," a 35-minute workout that combined exercises that worked every muscle. This workout was no joke, and I didn't even do all of it! My abs were pretty darn sore from two days of working them, so I decided to skip any of the ab-work, but  I did the rest of it (with a few tweaks here and there), and let me tell ya, squat jumps are killer! I love finding a new workout that really challenges me, so I am hoping to incorporate this workout into my routine more often and hopefully get better and stronger at each of the moves. I am anticipating being very sore tomorrow morning!

After a shower and my favorite yogurt breakfast (one of my favorite things about being back at SRD!), I headed off to my first class of the day: Economics. As an English major, I am about as far from having skills in Economics as you can get, but because I have decided to pursue a certificate in business, here I am taking an Economics course. My professor is really great -- he does a fantastic job of writing things down for us and providing us with plenty of examples. I have my first test in a week, so we'll see how this goes!

After a three-hour break (and a delicious Mexican lunch), I headed off to my second class of the day: Shakespeare. Now, my only prior experience with Shakespeare was in middle and high school, and I did not walk away with very strong feelings toward it. I was a little nervous for this class, seeing as Shakespeare can be very, very hard to understand, and quite frankly, I think some of this deep meaning has been pulled out of thin air, but you didn't hear that from me! I had no reason to be nervous, though, because my professor is seriously awesome and he understands that this is a class for students with little-to-no Shakespeare experience. Believe it or not, time flies while I am in the class, and it helps knowing that I might  be teaching these plays to students one day! Weird! The first play we read was Titus Andronicus, Shakespeare's first play (and certainly not his best), and it is quite violent, and strange. I am not quite sure the meaning behind it, but I am sure there is something! A Midsummer Night's Dream is up next, a play that I read when I was in the eighth grade, and I like to think that I have a little bit more knowledge now than I did then (although I probably don't)!

Chocolate frozen yogurt makes for the perfect after-class snack!
Overall, my classes seem to be pretty relaxed (so far), work has been very relaxed, and I am looking forward to my first weekend back in Austin! I am still feeling that jet-lag, so I am hoping to get quite a bit of sleep while also getting in some of my Austin favorites!

*edit: this was supposed to be posted last night, but due to a lack of Internet (story of my life!), it is being posted this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS