Thursday, July 19, 2012

Battle Wound

It was a beautiful summer night and I had been holed up in my room for far too long reading Shakespeare. I wanted to be outside, just soaking up the night, but I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. I didn't feel like running, but as soon as I stepped outside after deciding on a nice walk around campus, I decided to channel my inner-Spaniard and rollerblade to the Capitol. I am sure I mentioned it once or twice, but rollerblading was so common in Barcelona and that was the one thing I wish I had been able to pack. Anyway, my trusty rollerblades were up in my storage unit, so after a quick trip to the fourth floor, I was ready to roll!

I was greeted with this beautiful sight upon leaving SRD and I was loving the slight breeze as I bladed all around campus, remembering just how hilly Austin really is. 


I arrived at the Capitol and bladed around to the front so I could get a picture of the Capitol building at night, but I realized I would need to go a bit farther away if I wanted to get a decent picture. I didn't take into account just how downhill it was and before I knew it, I was flying full-speed ahead, with very few options for stopping. I grabbed onto a pole, bounced off, ran into another pole and found myself laying sideways on the concrete. After a few not-so-nice words, I grabbed my phone (not a scratch!) and examined the damage. Despite a few scrapes on my elbows, knee, and a bloody left thumb, I wasn't too banged up, and I picked myself up and headed back towards home, way more aware of the downhills this time around!

Don't worry, I still mades sure to snap a picture!
There was no one around to see my fall, so no one would even have to know about this if it weren't for me broadcasting it to the world via this blog post, but I figured it was too funny not to share with you guys. I am a little banged up, but nothing a hot shower and a relaxing movie night can't fix! My workout may be a little scaled back tomorrow, but what can you do!

Before I move on to the rest of the day, I have to apologize for my absence this week. I had my first Economics exam today, and quite a bit of Shakespeare to read. Who would have thought I would actually enjoy Shakespeare? I used to think he was a little overrated, and while I still think some of his work is a bit strange, he did write some entertaining (if not a bit raunchy) stories!

After my second class, I decided to take advantage of the rare bit of sunshine and hit up Gregory Gym to swim some laps. It feels great to be swimming again (I definitely missed that while I was in Spain), and I am sure my one-piece tan will be back in full force soon enough! I was surprised that my I did not lose any endurance - I was still able to swim my usual 72 laps without much difficulty, however, I have noticed that my time has slowed down a bit. Luckily, that isn't something that bothers me, and it gives me something to work on - I am always up for a challenge!

I was pretty hungry by this point, so I headed straight down to dinner upon my return to SRD, where I was greeted with a delicious meal: beef and broccoli stir-fry with some of my favorite vegetables on the side. It was delicious, and the perfect fuel for some more Shakespeare.

I ended the night with my blading adventures, and now I am relaxing with a great old movie that is making me wish I was back in London: Winning London (MK & A movies never get old)!

A little motivation for you: tomorrow is FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS