Sunday, July 22, 2012

Refreshing

Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you have enjoyed as wonderful of a weekend as I have! Though working on a Friday night is not my exact definition of a good time, it allowed me to relax, get some homework done, and of course, write a blog post! I'm trying to get back on my blog-postin' grind!

Anyway, early Saturday morning, I headed down the road to that little town called College Station to watch my brother and his friends compete in the 7-on-7 State Football Tournament. They had won all three games on Friday (a first for Stratford, even the year we won the State Championship), so I was pumped to get to see them play what I thought would be a pretty full day. Unfortunately, they lost their first game to Cinco Ranch (the same school that kept me out of the state tournament in volleyball my senior year.. and yes, I'm still bitter!), and it was a heartbreaking loss. They had a not-so-stellar first half in that they were down 13-0 for most of it before coming back and taking the lead. After half-time, Cinco came out and scored a couple of key touchdowns, and we were just unable to recover from it before time ran out. They lost 27-32, and I was bummed that I wasn't going to get to spend more time with my family, but I also made the trip to College Station (with a broken back-seat window) to see and spend time with Gayle, whom I hadn't seen since before I left for Spain!

Daniel making a great catch (Photo cred: Harper Rae Jones) 
The boys after qualifying for the state tournament! (Photo cred: Harper Rae Jones)
Daniel making a diving catch! (Photo cred: Harper Rae Jones)
She is also taking summer school, so I was pretty bummed when I thought I wouldn't be able to see her until we both got home in August. When I learned that my brother's team had qualified for the state tournament in College Station, I jumped on the opportunity to see both my family and my best friend in one trip. I went over to her apartment shortly after the end of the game and we just sat and talked and talked and talked before realizing that both of our stomachs were grumbling and we were hungry. She told me about a new burger place, and I am not one to turn down a perfectly good burger, so we decided to check it out.

It was a place called Grub (good people, real food, unique vibe, big flavors) Burger Bar, and it was such a cute, trendy little place. I opted for the "Hippie Chic" - sans cheese, and it was delicious. I recently discovered my love for mushroom, so the mushroom burger really hit the spot. I am not quite sure that it was as good as hopdoddy, but I'll have to revisit that Austin hotspot very soon, just to make sure! ;)

It was then time for me to head back to Austin, she had some studying to do and I had to do something about that back window of mine! It never gets easier to say goodbye, that's for sure!

After a rather uneventful drive back to Austin, I unfortunately arrived too late for my window to be fixed today, but that allowed me to be at SRD for the return of my trouble twin, aka Hanna! She and I were RA's together last year and we quickly formed a friendship over our love of baseball (and the players), and although she is a Mets fan, I decided to overlook that little flaw! We sat and caught up on our lives before heading down to the office to reunite with one of our other friends and fellow RA's who happened to be visiting her sister for the weekend: Lexi! We decided to hit up one of our Austin favorites - Whole Foods - to enjoy a delicious meal on a beautiful night. We ended up sitting on the roof just talking and laughing for a while, which was just so needed. I have missed having my good friends here in Austin with me! It was a wonderful (and much-needed) Saturday, full of family, friends, and fun - all of my favorites!

4/9 RA's were reunited in Austin this weekend!
Caught red-handed as we were pulling back in: Tara double fisting the fro-yo
After that long but joy-filled day, I got myself a good nights sleep before waking up a little before 7 to hit the gym before I sat and worked the front desk for six hours. After struggling through a few morning runs, I decided that I needed to prove to myself that I could indeed still run more than two miles, so I set out on the treadmill thinking I would run four miles before calling it a day. I am starting an eight-week bootcamp plan tomorrow (more on that tomorrow!), and I didn't want to wear myself out before bootcamp even started! I ended up running 5.3 miles in about 45-minutes, which is a little bit slower than my usual pace, but after seven weeks in Europe, I am trying to build back up my speed and endurance. Fear not, it will get there! I did 200 crunches on the exercise ball before calling it a day and heading down to enjoy a delicious yogurt breakfast before showering and working the desk (and finally starting that homework) from 10am to 4pm. I gave a tour to a very excited rising senior, ordered myself some My Fit Foods -- tilapia on a bed of vegetables -- and read two chapters of Economics and two acts of Hamlet. I'd call it a very productive Sunday!
My Fit Foods
After such a wonderful weekend, I feel ready to tackle this week -- no tests, and the Olympics Opening Ceremonies are on Friday. I'd say it's going to be a great one! Enjoy the last little bit of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS