Sunday, October 14, 2012

Just Keep Running

Happy Sunday! I have a fun running survey for you today before I head off in the direction of Zilker Park for my first ACL experience! Can't wait to tell you all about it!

But first, the survey.

What is your favorite type of cross training?
Swimming, for sure.

What is your favorite song to run to?
Call me lame, but I love listening to Call Me Maybe, What Makes You Beautiful, and songs of the like. I really need upbeat songs that keep me pumped up, which tend to be the "hit" songs of the time.

What brand of shoes do you wear?
I have been wearing Asics to run lately, but I actually just bought a new pair of Mizunos. Not because I need a new pair of shoes at this time, but I had a $50 off Google offer that just expired, so I decided to buy them now and put them away for when I need them. Anyway, I really like both brands, and truth be told, I might like Mizunos a little more based on appearance. Hey, when you feel good, you run better, right?
Asics
Lots of support for my pronation
My new kicks - apparently my feet have gotten bigger, these are a 9.5!
Do you wear a hat when you run?
Nope. I think I have a weird shaped head in that hats typically obscure my vision when I wear them. So, no, I do not wear a hat when I run.
Me in a hat
What temperature is your favorite for running?
60s and 70s. Or any temperature with little humidity.

Do you have any big races coming up?
I do! I am running a ten-miler in two weeks, and I am running in the Houston half marathon in January. I have a couple of 10K's thrown into the mix between now and then, but I wouldn't say those are "big" races.
Run for the Water 10 Miler
What is your favorite distance?
I really enjoy running five and six miles, but I am really looking forward to this ten-mile race. That is actually the furthest I have ever run in preparation for a half-marathon, so I think I am going to keep that streak alive for the Houston half!

Are you a morning, noon, or evening runner?
Typically, if I don't run in the morning, I won't do it. I enjoy just waking up, eating a little something, and then pounding out the miles, having my run done for the day. However, I do enjoy evening runs every once in a while, but I just really have to make sure that I do it!

Do you run solo or with a buddy?
Solo. I don't know why but I have never been one to run with other people. I think it is because I am concerned about slowing them down, or vice versa. You never know when you just aren't going to be feeling a run, and I would hate ruining someone else's running plans.

What is your favorite post run snack?
I love eating fruit after a run - it is so refreshing! Apples and grapes are my go-to post run fruits.

What is your favorite race?
I really love the 10K distance, it is enough to challenge me, but not too much to where I am literally counting down the miles. However, both half marathons that I have done have been so much fun for me.
Cap 10K last March
Do you wear a Garmin? If not, how do you track your distance?
I don't wear a Garmin, but I would love to own one. Lately I have been doing all of my runs on the treadmill because the weather is just too gross for me to run outside (I'm a baby when it comes to the humidity - it just kills me!), so I can obviously track my distance pretty easily on the 'mill, but if I do happen to be taking my run outside, I typically use MapMyRun to plan my route so that I cover my desired distance. Or I just run until I feel like I have run the correct number of miles. Seriously.

What is my least favorite race?
I would have to say the 5K, simply because it is typically too short of a race for what I am paying. I also run faster over longer distances, and I have trouble making myself run much faster than what I would run if I were covering six miles. That was a pretty negative tone toward 5K races, and don't get me wrong, I still do them every once in a while, but I prefer longer distances so I feel as though I am getting my money's worth.
Post Color Run 5K in February
Where is your favorite medal from?
Disney World half - who wouldn't like a medal with Donald Duck's face on it?

Who is your running idol?
Well, I know they aren't famous runners or anything, but I'm going to have to go with my friend (and running coach), Alex Suchman, and my former physics teacher, Mr. Avis. Alex is one of the fastest runners I know, and the one who sat down with me to devise a running plan for my first half marathon. I can't say that I followed it, but he always encourages me in my running endeavors. And Mr. Avis is probably the most rockstar runner I know, running 50-milers for fun, and going out and running 17 and 18 miles on the reg.
Alex is the one on the right
Mr. Avis took some time off of running to come to prom!
How long have you been a runner?
Funny story, I used to hate running. I tried to like it, but it was never really my thing. When I got to college, I needed something to keep off that freshman 15, so I spontaneously signed up for the Austin half marathon in February 2011. I started seriously training for it in December, and I have never looked back. Well, that's a lie. I have hit a few patches where I took a small break from running, only because I don't ever want running to feel like a chore. That was a long response for something that required a short one - about two years. 

Do you run with your wedding/engagement ring on?
Well, of course! Kidding, a decision like this would require me to have either of those rings, and, I don't. But I usually don't wear my rings when I run.

What is your favorite workout? tempo? long run? fartlek? repeats?
I love interval workouts as well as longish distance runs.
Results from my latest interval workout
What is your favorite place to run?
I am so thankful to live in one of the most outdoorsy cities there is - Austin, Texas. Town Lake is about a ten-minute drive from where I live and it is one of my favorite places in the world. It is so peaceful and the view is spectacular.



Do you use Gu?
Gu is one of those things that I just can't do. I am a very texture-oriented person, and I think it is the texture of the Gu that keeps me away.

What do you drink to keep hydrated?
Just water.

What do you take with you on a run? Does it vary by distance?
I literally take myself and my iPod. Occasionally a house/car key if necessary. My parents hate that I don't run with my cell phone, but if I have too much stuff to carry and keep up with, it makes the run that much more difficult. Town Lake and the Buffalo bayou have water fountains on the trails, so if I need water, I can just stop and get some from one of the fountains as opposed to carrying a water bottle with me. And no, it does not vary by distance. All I need to survive a long run is a fully-charged iPod!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS