Sunday, October 28, 2012

Run for the Water

A running survey seemed appropriate for Survey Sunday this week because this morning I completed the Run for the Water 10-mile race. It started bright and early at 7:00am, and I probably ran a mile or two before the sun came up. I really enjoyed the race, although my time was a bit slower than last year, and it helps bring clean water to the people of Burundi. I will say that the hills just about killed me this morning, and I am hoping that the Houston half will be a breeze compared to this race! That's what I get for only training on a treadmill.

1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?
I don't think I run far enough to really need fuel, but I did eat Shot Bloks during my training for the BPMS150 my senior year of high school. I was a huge fan of them then, and I would probably still eat them if I could find them, but I have only really found them at Bicycle World and Fitness in Houston.
2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?
10K and 1/2 Marathon. The 5K race is generally too short for me to sign up for, mostly because it's so expensive for such a short race, and the 10K and 1/2 Marathon are my favorite race distances. I also think ten miles is a great race length, and I would love to see more of them. I have never run a marathon, but I think I would like to one day, and I'm not sure that I could ever run an Ultra!
Disney World 1/2 
3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other?
I wear Nike Tempo shorts a majority of the time, but if I am running outside in the cold, Nike tights are my go-to.
Extreme heat and humidity at the Blue Bell Fun Run in Brenham
One of the coldest races I've ever run
4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?
I'm boring and just stick to water when I run.
5. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD?
This is such a hard question! Living in Texas, I am used to being the heat, but that doesn't mean I like it. Actually, I don't mind the heat, it's when it's paired with the humidity that I can't handle running outdoors, even at 6:00 in the morning. But I'm a huge wimp when it comes to the cold weather, though I probably prefer that to the heat and humidity.

6. Running Shoe Brands: Suacony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics or Other?
Mizuno and Asics are my favorite brands. I have been wearing Asics running shoes for the past year, but I just recently bought a pair of Mizuno's that I am pretty excited to break in. 


7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?
Banana and peanut butter or peanut butter banana toast.

8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x or more per week, never ever ever or Other?
I generally schedule one rest day per week, but if I need more, I take more.
9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?
Generally, I have to have it. Especially when it comes to races. However, I have definitely arrived at the gym only to realize that I didn't bring headphones, so I have had to suck it up and run music-less. It really isn't that bad, but I prefer having music that pumps me up. If I am at my gym in Houston, I will often times time my workouts so that I can watch a good TV show or movie while I workout because every machine has its own television. I lead a rough life.

10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other?
I'd say a combination of all of these reasons. I love the race atmosphere, but I won't lie and say that I don't run to keep in shape. Did you like that double negative? However, I don't ever want to hate running, so if I start feeling like it's a burden, I switch up my workouts. The feeling after a good run just can't be replaced, and to be honest, I don't feel quite as guilty about eating that frozen yogurt! Actually, I don't feel guilty about eating frozen yogurt at all, so scratch that last one!
Murchison Wyldlife is so athletic 
Murchison ladies
Jamie Lynn, Sarah, Natalie, Katie, me, and Emily after the Color Run

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS