Saturday, January 11, 2014

No One Ever Told Us That

Last night I finished what is probably going to be my last "pleasure reading" book of the semester. Though one of my students did tell me that she is going to bring me a book to read by an author of one of the Young Adult books I read over the break, so I am going to make time to read that one.

While reading some of my favorite blogs, I came across a recommendation for this book by John D. Spooner: No One Ever Told Us That, which consists of a series of letters from a grandfather to his grandchildren. Spooner is one of America's leading financial advisors, so a lot of his advice is financial, and touches on subjects like investments and jobs, but he also hits on marriage and chasing your dreams, and the whole book is really just full of fun and essential advice. It is a quick read, and one major theme running throughout each one of the letters is that "all life is relationships." As someone who is a mere five months (give or take) away from the real world, this book not only offered some positive encouragement, it also opened my eyes to how much I don't know about money, and the fact that there is always more to learn. It looks like I'll never stop being a student!

His introduction starts out with this:
  • "I know it's old-fashioned, but I love letters. I love to write them and receive them. I enjoy the quality of the stationery and the hardness of fine card stock. And, as in many things in life, I enjoy the anticipation; what's in the note or letter? And I think more weight is given to something handwritten. Often, the real letters are saved as a memory of something special." 
One of my New Year's Resolutions was to write more letters, and I have already written three in the eleven days we've had in 2014. My goal is to write at least one letter a week (and that means lots of fun stationery)! I want to love others as well as they have loved me.

(Source)
The moral of the story is that I recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick and encouraging read, and I also want to share with you a few of my favorite lines, or messages, from the book.

I know this might be hard to read, so if you want to actually read them, simply click on the picture to make it bigger!
Okay, so that was more than a few, but they were too good not to share. Plus, you guys know how I love a good quote.

And after a beautiful Saturday of running errands with Dylan, I'm ready to settle in and watch some playoff football. Go Colts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS