Thursday, May 1, 2014

Chicken and Apple Chicken Sausage

Happy Thursday, and happy first day of May! Where in the heck has this year gone? T-16 days to graduation, W H A T !


(Source)
I know that it has been quite a while since I last posted, and I also know that I said I was going to be better about posting. However, things are just now starting to slow down, and I probably never even shared with you that I traveled to Washington D.C. with my best travel bud to run a half marathon. That's how behind I am! 



But fear not, with this new month, I am resolving to get back to my 10 posts a month goal. So, without further ado, I have a new recipe to share with you guys!

A few weeks ago I was doing some casual grocery shopping at Randall's. I was walking over to the produce section when I saw a man handing out sausage samples. I am a huge fan of free samples, and surprisingly, a huge fan of sausage (sausage-on-a-stick is definitely one of my guilty pleasures). So, when the representative offered up a sample of chicken and apple flavored chicken sausage, who was I to refuse? I absolutely loved it, so I decided to buy a package of it to cook up for dinner. Well, I sort of forgot about it for a week or two, but I happily rediscovered it when I was attempting to organize my shared shelf in the fridge. When you share a fridge with eight other girls, you're bound to lose something every now and again.
*I apologize for not knowing the brand of the chicken sausage - I am off my blogging and picture-taking game these days, so bear with me as I get back into my groove!

Amidst my rummaging, I also found some neglected vegetables so I pulled those out of the fridge as well and got to work preparing what might be my new favorite dinner.

Ingredients
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 squash
  • 1 handful asparagus spears
  • 1 chicken sausage
  • Lemon pepper
  • Olive oil
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Break the tough ends off the asparagus and discard
3. Lay the asparagus spears on a baking dish, lined with foil and sprayed with cooking oil
4. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon pepper (if desired)
5. Roast in oven for 8 minutes, letting them remain in the oven with no heat for 5 additional minutes
6. Meanwhile, chop zucchini, squash, and chicken sausage
7. Coat cooking pan with olive oil
8. Place all of the aforementioned ingredients in the pan, over medium heat



9. If desired, season with lemon pepper (or any other seasoning)
10. Saute for 7-8 minutes
11. Take the asparagus out of the oven and the remaining ingredients out of the pan
12. Enjoy!



It looks like a lot of steps, but it really only takes about 15 minutes to prepare (and a lot less time than that to eat), and I would even recommend making two servings so that it's easy to reheat the next night when you walk into your house ravenously hungry after yet another crazy day! And again, I apologize for the lack of pictures during the actual cooking process - I'll be better next time, I promise!



Have a great Thursday, y'all, and I hope to be back with another post today. Though I clearly can make no promises on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS