Monday, April 27, 2015

Chicken Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful and relaxing weekend, because today is the first day of the work week (and/or school week), and it's never a good thing to enter into a week feeling tired. I personally had a great weekend - full of sunshine and watching sports and exercise and reading and some playing around in the kitchen. I've mentioned before that a lot of my food prep for the week happens on Sunday, which certainly means I have to give up quite a bit of Sunday time to do it, but it saves me so much time during the week. And for that, it's more than worth it. Normally I make the same breakfast and lunch week after week - scrambled egg whites and salad - but I decided to do a little something different this time around. It's a strange time to do it, as temperatures here in Texas hit close to 90 degrees yesterday, but when you're hit with inspiration, you're hit with inspiration, ya know?


As I am sure you could tell from the title of this post, the recipe I am sharing with you guys today is a Chicken Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe. The prep work takes a little bit of time, but then you get to slide it all into a crockpot, and let the slow cooker do all of the hard work for you. That's my kind of recipe! So, because I've already enjoyed this taste of something different, I'll share this fitnessandfroyo original recipe with all of you. May your warm nights be made even warmer with this one!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups lentils
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • Seasoning of your choice - I used thyme and rosemary pepper

Directions
1. Place the first  eight ingredients into a slow cooker
2. Place the two chicken breasts on top of the vegetables - seasoning, if desired



3. Pour in your four cups of chicken broth
4. Cover and let cook for six hours
5. Shred chicken breast and enjoy!

I would provide a picture of the finished product, but it's quite honestly a sight for sore eyes. Just trust me on the fact that it tastes much better than it looks! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I have already enjoyed it. There's no end to the various vegetable combinations you could throw together, and I think mixing in some quinoa would be another tasty way to sneak in some extra protein. But that's a recipe for another day. Have a fabulous rest of your Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS