Friday, April 3, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XXVIII

Happy Good Friday! I hope you are lucky enough to have today off of work, because I know that I am going to thoroughly enjoy it. This week was crazy enough, as we only had two "normal" days of school, and on Tuesday, I'll admit that I put on a movie for my kiddos. It was related to what we are doing, kind of. But after spending five hours taking a STAAR test the day before, I felt as though they deserved a day off. What's better is that this was the first of three four-day weeks for me. A holiday, and then a long-long weekend vacation. I'll take it.

And I'm hoping to both be productive, and have a restful day today. Because I will have a sub two out of the next six school days, I do have a little bit of work to do in preparation for he sub. Often times it's more work to prepare for a sub than it is to just go to work, but I have no qualms about enjoying one of the most beautiful cities in America while leaving detailed instructions for a sub. I just don't.

But enough about that. Let's move on to our regularly scheduled events - Things I'm Loving Friday

Life is______. 
I've read another one of Judah Smith's books, Jesus is______," and I absolutely loved it. His writing style is so me - he's funny, he's relatable, and he's real. He understands and admits that no one is perfect, and that we are hardwired to make mistakes. He doesn't give us a laundry list of rules to follow, rather, he offers tips on how to live life to the fullest. Life s ______. is a good read for absolutely anyone, and a good reminder of just how much we are loved.




Easter-Themed M&M's
You can always count on M&M's to get into the holiday spirit, and I'm the sucker that buys the special holiday-themed M&M's every single holiday. Because it's almost guaranteed that they will make an appearance on my Instagram. This time? I'm planning on making a Mini-M&M Layer Cake. I say mini because I bought the cutest four-inch springform pans, and instead of decorating the outside of the cake with Cadbury Creme Eggs like the creator of this recipe, I am going to use these Easter-themed M&M's. Because they're more in demand in my house, anyway.



26 Things No One Tells You About Running
This article from Run, Selfie, Repeat hits the nail on the head. I've said it before but if you think running is cheap therapy? Don't sign up for any races. I, along with Sarah, am probably the world's fastest walker, and am convinced that we should be competing at Rio in 2016. Even if it's (literally) freezing outside, I still sweat like it's over 100. And while my friends, nor you guys, probably care how much or how far I run, I wouldn't trade this form of exercise for anything else. And I'm so glad to be back in the running game. 



Dropout Nation
I showed this documentary to my students the Tuesday after STAAR, because after six months of essays, short answer responses, and reading practice, I think a one-day break is sufficient, right? And I didn't just put on any old movie. One of my co-workers told me about this documentary, focused on what used to be called the "Dropout Factory," and I made sure to watch it over spring break. Surprise! This Dropout Factory is actually Sharpstown High School, a high school located very close to Bellaire. This documentary chronicles the lives of four Sharpstown students, and the teachers who are fighting that daily battle to get these students to graduate. You can watch it for free on PBS.org, and I highly recommend it if you find yourself with two additional hours. 


(Source)
25 Healthy Snacks for Runners
If you're a long-time runner, you probably have your snack routine down. If you're new to running, this article was written just for you. And heck, even if you've been running for years, maybe this article will bring a little variety to your daily snackage. I'm not one for chocolate milk or cottage cheese, but they're perfect post-run treats. You'll find lots of protein on this list, as active people often need a little bit more than the daily recommendation. I'm personally excited to try the English muffin pizzas (sans dairy cheese, of course), and I'm still looking for ways to exceed my already-too low daily calcium requirement.


(Source)
Have a great GOOD Friday! Here's to a weekend of crawfish, basketball, family, friends, (hopefully) some sunshine, and most of all, a celebration of the resurrection of our sweet Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS