Saturday, May 16, 2015

Green Smoothie Bowl

Happy Saturday, friends! I posted this picture on Instagram just a couple of hours ago, and I wanted to pop in and share this super easy, super healthy recipe with you guys. But let's back up a little bit. What inspired this recipe, you ask? Well, the sun has finally made its return! I was talking with a teacher yesterday about how I was worried it had lost its way, but we've got it for a little bit. At least, until the storms roll back in tomorrow. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Because the sun has been on and off all day, I decided to get outside and take advantage of the weather by going for a run through my neighborhood. But it's always May in Texas, and that means it's hot hot hot! We creeped close to the 90's today, and my face was bright red for quite some time this afternoon.



It took me a while to cool back down, and during this cooling down time, my stomach started begging to be fed. I thought about just eating one of the salads I already had prepared and didn't eat last week, but that didn't sound appealing to me in the least. I knew I wanted to get at least one serving of veggies in me, though, so I pulled out the blender, looked to see what I had in the fridge, and got to work on this delicious green smoothie bowl.



Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 cup fresh fruit (stick with strawberries and raspberries if you want green to be the predominant color)
  • 2 handfuls spinach (or kale, if that's your green of choice)
  • 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1 handful ice cubes (if not using frozen fruit)
      TOPPINGS -
  • Granola
  • Chia Seeds
  • Coconut Flakes
  • Fresh fruit of your choice
Directions:
1. Slice banana and other fresh fruit, if using
2. Place all smoothie ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
3. Pour into a bowl and top with desired toppings
4. Enjoy!

I told you it was easy! And full of fruits and vegetables. I personally prefer to use fresh fruit over frozen, as it always takes my blender forever and a day to blend fruit when it's frozen, but if you forgo the frozen fruit, be sure to add in the ice cubes. Otherwise, your refreshing smoothie won't be so refreshing. There are obviously so many options when it comes to recreating this smoothie. Adding nut butter, adding in peaches and/or mango, using nuts as toppings, and the list goes on. So let me revise my earlier statement. Versatile, easy, and healthy. A win-win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS