Thursday, May 7, 2015

Chocolate for Breakfast

Didn't I tell you I'd be back? This is what getting home before the start of traffic does to you - it makes you feel as though you have all the time in the world. Because yesterday I worked out, ran errands, blogged, baked, and even did a little bit of schoolwork. And I still went to bed at my normal hour. It's the little things that put some extra pep in your step.

Anyway, I'll be brief, as there's always something else to cross off of my to-do list, but first, I'll let you in on a little secret. I don't go a day without chocolate. I know, I know. But it's such a sweet spot in my day that I just can't deprive myself of it. Besides, you can't be good all the time. And besides, dark chocolate is healthy, right? Not right? Oh well, I'll continue to eat it anyway.



And while I obviously believe in a little bit of chocolate every day, I firmly believe in eating chocolate for breakfast. I so remember waking up on Saturday mornings, wandering downstairs, grabbing a spoon, taking out a carton of (chocolate) ice cream from the freezer, and having at it. I typically got reprimanded for it later, but I have no regrets. Maybe that wasn't the best way to start my day, but chocolate can absolutely be a part of a balanced and healthy breakfast. Just take a look at this Almond Joy Granola, inspired by The Minimalist Baker. Actually, I pretty much copied her recipe exactly, except I added in even more coconut with my favorite Blue Diamond Toasted Coconut Almondsand I snuck some Chia seeds in there as well. An extra punch of health, right?



Ingredients
  • 2.5 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
  • 3 tbsp Chia seeds
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 1/3 cup honey (or agave, if you want to keep it vegan)
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks, chopped (+ a little bit more)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees
2. Combine the oats, shredded coconut, sugar, almonds, and Chia seeds in a large mixing bowl
3. Over medium-low heat, mix honey, almond butter, and coconut oil until melted
4. Pour over the dry mixture, mixing well
5. Spread evenly onto a foil-lined baking sheet, and cook for 20-25 minutes, taking it out of the oven and stirring it halfway through
6. When cooled, toss in the chocolate and ENJOY!




Evidently this should last about 2-3 weeks when stored in an airtight container, if you have a great amount of self-control than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS