Sunday, May 24, 2015

Lately I've Been

Hello, hello! I hope you guys are enjoying a long weekend - if you get one! - and appreciate the fact that you don't have to go to work or school tomorrow. While I'm simply administering finals this last week (and by that, I mean reading, surfing the web, and making sure my kids remain somewhat under control), I'm always grateful for a long weekend. I'm going to be spending much of my Memorial Day in the kitchen, baking sweet treats for my teacher friends, but that won't stop me from thinking of the men and women who have made, and who continue to make, the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.


Anyway, I saw this survey over on Julie's blog, and I decided it would make for the perfect Survey Sunday. I managed to find a few more surveys, so this tradition will continue on for at least a few more weeks! Then I'll have to start getting creative. 

Lately I've Been ...

Making: Granola. I’ve pinned a handful of granola recipes, and I just can’t get enough of it lately. Now that I’ve been making my own, store-bought granola just isn’t doing it for me.



Cooking: I haven’t been doing much cooking lately, I’ll admit. I’ve actually been eating out quite a bit more than I usually do, but I’ve been looking into some different recipes using quinoa, and I’m itching for summer to be here so that I can give them a try. Heck, I might even try one of them this upcoming week. What else am I supposed to do when I get home from work at 11:00am?

Drinking: Water. Always water. I have to laugh because in between every class period I run over to the English lounge to refill my water bottle (and go to the bathroom, as a direct result of drinking so much water). I don’t know what I’m going to do without that cold, endless supply of water this summer!

Reading: I plan on covering this more on my next Things I’m Loving Friday post, but All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. I absolutely devoured this book, and I gave it five stars on Goodreads.
 
(Source)
Wanting: I’m going to steal Julie’s answer on this one – another good book to read. None of the books on my Summer Reading List are speaking to me right now, and I think I might tackle The Book Thief, a book I’ve been meaning to read for a couple of years now, but just haven’t managed to open.

Looking: Forward to my trip to Cozumel with Cheyney! As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve never been to Mexico, and I’ve certainly never been scuba diving. And with all of this rainy and gloomy weather we’ve been experiencing, I’m more than ready to see a little sunshine.
 
We'll shed our skates for flippers
Playing: Music off of my Spotify “Fun Music” playlist. Which is basically just a collection of all the songs I have on Spotify. Summer goal – organize my music into more specific playlists.

Wasting: Space at school. Seriously. These last two weeks of school have honestly been a whole lot of nothing. Don’t get me wrong – I finished up Romeo and Juliet with my students, and they got to tell me about how dumb they found the two cheeseballs, and I reviewed for the final exam, but as I mentioned on Friday, I’ve also been putting in a movie here and there. You know it’s the end of the year when you walk up and down the hall and almost every classroom is dark with students watching a movie.

Wishing: The Rockets would get their act together and actually win a game (or two or three or FOUR).



Enjoying: Fountain of Health Hummus. With the recent Sabra recall, I was forced to abandon my usual brand of hummus in favor of a new-to-me brand. Luckily, this one fits the bill, and I might even like it better. It's perfect when paired with my go-to after-school snack of carrots and celery.

Waiting: For SUMMER! It’s been a long time coming. But I’m so thankful for a job that still gives me one!
 
Nothing better than summer sunsets
Liking: Hill training. Call me crazy, but there’s something special about seeing things from a little bit higher up than usual.



Wondering: How in the world I’m going to train for a marathon. Please – send tips, tricks, advice, and encouragement my way!



Loving: The quinoa and salmon combination. I’ve had it three times in the past week and I’m not even close to tired of it.



Hoping: To plan an Austin trip soon. Just the other day I got a random craving for about four different Austin restaurants. And I realized it’s been far too long since I’ve visited one of my favorite cities.



Needing: A massage. After my first year in the real world, I don’t even want to know how tense my shoulders must be.

Wearing: Nike shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Classic Kelli outfit.

Following: Though Monday was the finale, I must admit that I was following the most recent season of Dancing With the Stars. I was bummed when Nastia was eliminated prior to the finale (I have an Olympic gymnastics obsession), but the final three were all extremely talented. I was talking television shows with a co-worker, and when I brought that one up he asked me, “What, are you 80?” Okay, okay.
 
(Source)
Noticing: Just how bad the potholes are in Houston. If you are not a Houston resident, this does not pertain to you, but shoot, some of our major streets are a huge issue.

Knowing: That I work with some of the best people. As this school year comes to a close, I realize that I really couldn’t have survived my first year without them.

Thinking: That as much as my seventh period disappoints me, and as horrible as they act toward me sometimes, I act about ten times worse toward Jesus, and still I’m given grace upon grace. Though I said goodbye to my seventh period on Friday (praises!), I hope to carry that reminder with me into the start of the next school year. So many of these kids just need a little bit of love. Tough love, but still love.

Feeling: Relieved. We received an email with our students’ STAAR results on Friday, and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. It is comforting to know that maybe, just maybe, I’m getting through to some of them! It makes all the hard work and stress worth it.




Bookmarking: I don’t really bookmark many sites, but I’ll let you guys in on what I’ve been pinning lately. A whole lot of cookie recipes, and quite a few waffle recipes. And actually, a few teacher ideas are sprinkled in here and there.


Opening: Email after email after email. Lately, both my school and my personal inboxes have been flooded. Granted, many of the emails I’ve received on my personal account are trash, and many of the emails I’ve received on my school account are fun banter with other teachers, but I’m struggling to keep up!

Fitnessandfroyo out. Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS