Friday, May 22, 2015

Things I'm Loving XXXV

Happy FRIDAY! This Friday is a little bit happier than usual, as it is my LAST Friday of my very first year of teaching. And what's better is that we are giving final exams today, and my only final exam of the day is over at 10:00am. While I still have to scan and enter grades, I'll be home well before I normally would. So I really have no room to complain. And I really have no room to complain, as today is my last day with my seventh period class. While I really do love those students, that class has most definitely tested my patience throughout the course of this semester. Miss Tomlinson learned how to get tough quick. But before I dance my way out of school in happiness, let's get going on our 35th edition of Things I'm Loving Friday.


Brownie Cookies
Also known as the Brookie. Mrs. Watson, if you're reading this, this one goes out to you. I told my students that I would bake them something on the day of their final, and as I mentioned above, today is seventh period's time to shine. I wanted to keep things simple, because these kids really don't want anything exotic, and I decided on the best of both worlds - the brownie cookie. Now, I have dabbled with the Brookie on many occasions, but I have always made them in brownie form. This time I made them in cookie form, and I'm going to go ahead and say that these are going to be a hit. You just can't go wrong with this combo.


An ode to seventh period
Monsters University
Okay, I'll admit it. If you would have walked into my classroom this week, you would believe the stereotype that "teachers don't really do anything." Is that a stereotype anymore? Anyway, while I have made sure to go over every single part of the final exam review, in both reading and in English, I will also say that I have put in Monsters University for my students' viewing pleasure. With an altered schedule this week, I've had some of my classes for two hours some days, and some days I don't see some classes, and to be honest, how else am I supposed to keep high school freshmen entertained for two hours without showing a movie? And this was the most attentive I've seen some of them in a while. But their expressions and giggles throughout the length of the movie were absolutely priceless, and it reminded me that they're still just little kids. My heart was full. And I myself enjoyed the movie along with them.



The Egg and I
Continuing on with my Teacher of the Year acts, yesterday was sixth period's turn to be in session for two hours. And throughout this semester I've set up shop in the English department lounge with another teacher who has a floater in his room that period. Yesterday we decided to take advantage of our two-and-a-half hour lunch break by getting away from school for a little bit and taking a trip to The Egg and I. Though I have one just minutes away from where I live, I hadn't been there in months, and I more than enjoyed my Chicken Apple Sausage Scramble. Great food, and some great company. So, Mr. Olsen, if you're reading this, thanks for being a mentor-type to this rookie teacher. You really made me feel a part of the Bellaire family, and I am so very appreciative.


Mother always told you to eat a good breakfast
What to Do When Your Life Doesn't Go as Planned
I really loved this article. As I think back to a year ago when I graduated college, I was wide-eyed and full of excitement and ready to dive into the whole real world thing. I graduated with high honors, I had a rockin' job, a great boyfriend, and about 100 other things going my way. And then I moved home and started working and it was hard. I was about as miserable as one could be, but I pasted a smile on my face and said, "It's great; I love it" when asked about my job. It wasn't great, and I didn't love it. And Dylan and I were navigating the long-distance waters, and things started getting choppy. And that was hard. What was supposed to be an exciting time in my life had me longing for everything I had left in the past. Nothing was going as planned. But somewhere around the first of the year, I let go of all expectations and simply enjoyed the moment that I was in. I let my current season shape me, and I practiced being and living in the moment. I chose to be grateful for each day, and ultimately, I chose to trust the One who holds my future.


Now when asked, I really do love my job
Healthy Breakfasts
It's no secret around here that I'm a big time breakfast lover. It's my absolute favorite meal of the day. And while I still love my scrambled egg whites and spinach, it's nice to mix things up every now and again. And contrary to popular belief, healthy breakfast doesn't have to be boring. I know many people love it, but I just can't do oatmeal. It's something about the texture. But there's more to a healthy breakfast than oatmeal. In fact, this article highlights 28 healthy and delicious breakfast recipes. And a lot of these recipes are really pretty easy. And they're just begging you to add your own personal twist.



And that's all I've got, because I've got a final to administer. Catch y'all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS