Sunday, January 11, 2015

Foodie Sunday

Happy Sunday, everyone! It has been a cold and wet weekend here in Houston, so it has been perfect for getting caught up on the school side of things, as well as just relaxing under a blanket with this little blog of mine. I did manage to squeeze in a (rainy) run yesterday, as well as a delicious dinner at Hungry's, but otherwise, this weekend has been spent relaxing. And not to toot my own horn, but I'd say that it's pretty well deserved.



I started getting tired long about 8:30pm on Friday night, so that's how I knew I was really back at work. Those high schoolers are exhausting, yet it's funny that this past week I was overcome with so much appreciation for the job that I have. Yes, waking up early is hard, and yes, some of my students absolutely exasperate me, but sometimes I still can't believe that I get paid to do what I do. I truly love my students and the way they make me laugh and tell me things that I sometimes don't want to hear. I love it when they come and sit in my room during lunch just to talk (because I was so that student in high school), and I love that maybe, just maybe, I can be a bright spot in their days. I know how lucky I am, that I no longer dread getting out of my car in the morning, rather, I'm ready to get the day going. And then other days you have to wonder if you are doing anything right.



Anyway, let's get this survey show on the road. I'm hoping to whip up some baked goods later today for a co-worker who had a birthday on Friday, as well as get in a relaxing swim and an evening church service. Oh, and do a little bit of grading. Busy, busy! But that's just the way I like it. I hope your Sunday is a great one - and fingers crossed that Green Bay and Indianapolis pull out a couple of Ws!


I googled Carrots ‘n’Cake (an awesome healthy living blogger) survey, and I found quite a few, so I should be good to go for the next couple of weeks. This one actually comes from a blog called See Sarah Eat who mentions Carrots ‘n’ Cake. This is technically a vegan survey, and though I am not vegan by any means, due to my dairy intolerance I do often have to find dairy substitutes, mainly when it comes to dessert. My answers may not all be vegan-friendly, so just know that going into it. Here goes!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I would have to go with Unsweetened Almond Milk. But I have had coconut milk before, too, and I am also quite a fan of that as well.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
You can read my recipe to-do list here.
 
(Source)
(Source)
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I love popcorn, and I am currently addicted to BoomChickaPop Sea Salt Popcorn. I also love popcorn topped with cinnamon.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I tried my hand at the Spanish Omelette a while back, and honestly, it was a huge disaster. There were so many steps involved, and though it tasted alright, it looked nothing like it was supposed to. And it required quite a bit of effort!

5. Favorite pickled item?
I am going to have to go with just straight pickles. I L-O-V-E pickles and I always put little Kosher Dills on the salads that I take with me to school.

6. How do you organize your recipes?
It’s funny that you ask that because I actually just got this great recipe box for Christmas. I have not yet put any recipes into said recipe box, but I hope to get that going (in all my free time, of course). Right now, I typically use the recipes that I find on Pinterest.
 
(Source)
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash. Both of my parents are so good about using the garbage disposal, but I am always a little bit paranoid that I am going to put something down there that shouldn’t be!

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods, what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Oh gosh, what a tough question! I would probably bring my banana-oatmeal-almond butter muffins (this gets me a lot of favorites all in one food), Honeycrisp apples, and Brussels sprouts (is that weird? I love them!)

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Granny was the one who taught me how to bake, so I think I will always cherish that. As I got older and started perfecting my craft (I’m still on that road, by the way), she would ask if she could just watch me, in the same way that I watched her.



10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I do enjoy So Delicious ice cream, but I hardly ever eat it. I would much rather just eat frozen yogurt or gelato. If you are ever in Austin and are craving some vegan ice cream, Lick is the place to go! They have regular ice cream as well, and in very unique flavors.
 
Coconut, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Swirl
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Definitely my KitchenAid StandMixer. That thing is a beaut, and it makes life so much easier.
 
(Source)
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Lemon pepper. Does that count? I hope so, because I use it to season almost everything!

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Seeing as I grew up in the technology age, most of my recipes come from the Internet – whoops! But I do have this kid-friendly cookbook that believe it or not has some recipes that I would still make today.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
I used to think that I didn’t like jam, but I actually love it. Really any flavor will work for me, but I especially like blueberry.

15. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Breakfast, for sure. It gets me the most excited, and that is where you will see the most variety in my recipes. In fact, I have a couple new breakfast recipes that I am dying to try!
 
(Link)


16. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Nothing. We have cabinets directly above our refrigerator.

17. What’s on your grocery list?
That reminds me that I definitely need to make a grocery store run sometime today. Spring mix lettuce, spinach, yogurt, and chicken are a few of the items I will need for this week. I think I have everything else that I need, but I am sure that I will think of something in the middle of the week and have to go back for it!
 
My "College Student" grocery list - it looks a little bit different than this now, but much remains the same. I'll have to make a "Working Woman" grocery list next!
18. Favorite grocery store?
When I lived in Austin, I visited Central Market on the reg. The proximity to Central Market is definitely one of the things I miss most about living in Austin, but I certainly can’t complain about Randall’s. I have two that are equidistant from my house, so if I ever need to get anything, it’s a pretty quick trip.

19. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I have found this delicious chocolate from Central Market – it’s the Taza brand I’ve posted about on the blog before, and I am obsessed. I was actually out in Highland Village a couple of weeks ago (where our Central Market is located) and I made sure to pick up a disc.



20. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Chia seeds are quite the investment, as is almond flour. But they are both so, so worth it.

Enjoy your Sunday! Exactly one week to race day – I am getting more and more excited by the minute! I have vowed to wear closed-toed shoes every waking moment, and to avoid the rollerblades, just for this week. We don’t want any last-minute injuries!

Long live  Broken Toe 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS