Saturday, January 3, 2015

Upper Body Superset

Happy Saturday! I am happy because we finally saw the sun here in Houston. Fun fact for you guys - we've had rain every single day this year. As someone who loves to spend as much time as possible outside, I am not a huge fan of that statistic. In fact, I planned to wake up earlier than I have been waking up this break so that I could go for a run, but the cold and wet weather was begging me to stay curled up in bed. So, I gave into that.

I did a little bit of school work before peeking outside and being met with a sun that was trying so hard to make an appearance. I laced up my running shoes and headed out for a 6.5 mile run. My run started out on a bit of a tough note - I just couldn't seem to get into a rhythm - but I quickly found my stride and felt as though I could have run forever. I will say that I did get a little bit warm in my leggings and dri-fit jacket, but there was no getting me out of my room in shorts. So, I was extra sweaty, but I'm not complaining. Fingers crossed that we'll be lucky enough to have weather like this for the half coming up in just two weeks (and one day)!

I went out to run a couple of errands - mainly getting ahead on making copies because I know the Kopy Kingdom will be a nightmare on Monday - and purchasing a new air freshener for my car. Because I was in the area, and I couldn't decide what sounded good to me, I indulged in a Spinach Berry Smoothie from Central Market.


This refreshing smoothie was filled with bananas, blueberries, strawberries, apple juice, chia seeds, and of course, spinach. I finished it while walking around on this beautiful Houston afternoon, before returning to my side of town and hitting the gym for a quick upper body workout. Remember how I said I was going to get better about strength training? Well, I'm making good on my promise.

This workout couldn't have lasted longer than 15 minutes, but my arms were shaking at the end of it. I completed each superset before moving onto the next one, and I used 12-pound dumbbells for every exercise minus the lateral and frontal raises, for which I used 5-pounders. I did 12 reps of each exercise, with the exception of the shoulder taps, for which I completed 20 (ten on each arm). I completed each superset three times, and gave myself 30 seconds of rest in between each one. None of these exercises are anything out-of-the-ordinary, but when you haven't done something as isolated as this in a while (read: me), you're certainly going to feel it!


Enjoy the rest of your Saturday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS