Friday, January 16, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XVII: Running Edition

Happy F-R-I-D-A-Y! I have officially almost made it through my first full week of teaching for the second semester. Phew! I am finally starting to get into the waking-up-early groove, and I am quickly remembering how to run my classroom. This week has been pretty relaxed in terms of my English classes, as they have been working on and presenting projects, so I am grateful for that. It gives me a little bit of extra time to catch up on the things I just don't seem to have time for during the week. Or maybe that I don't make the time for, you tell me.

And it's no ordinary Friday - it's pre-half marathon Friday! [And the start of a 3-day weekend Friday]. In just 48 hours I will be lining up to run in my 6th half marathon, and I could not be more excited. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather predictions hold up, and that we have some dry weather for Sunday's run. So, that seems like the perfect segway into my running edition of Things I'm Loving Friday. Enjoy!

I have a bit of a problem. I may be what some would consider “obsessed” with these tops. I bought my first top (on sale!) about a year and a half ago, and I never looked back. Actually, the first time I wore it was at the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco, and that prompted me to search for them in other colors. They have been me go-to running tops this season, and I wear them around even when I’m not planning on working out. It is dri-fit material, meaning it keeps sweat away from the body (good for someone who sweats a lot like I do), and I love the little thumb holes that are pre-cut into the top – you get that warmth, but without losing the dexterity. They are expensive, but I typically wait until I can find them on sale, which does happen! I’m also unveiling a new one for the half marathon, so stay tuned to see what color it is (because I know you are all waiting on the edge of your seats in suspense).


I have strayed away a little bit from other Lululemon products – tops and yoga pants – in favor of Nike and Athleta products, but I will never turn down a good headband. I have been a headband wearer as long as I can remember, and I almost always have one on hand. I guess I have an unusual-sized head, because many headbands slip and slide off of my head, but these headbands are worth the price tag. Not only do they stay put and keep my hair out of my face when I run, but they’re cute, too. And you know that’s half the battle. Look good, run good, right?

(Source)
I know I just said I have been straying away from Lululemon, yet here I am singing the praises of yet another Lululemon product – socks. I bought these socks sort of on impulse, because my other padded running socks were getting a little ratty. And when I run long distances, I have to have that extra padding, even if it is just a psychological thing. I love these socks because they stay put and don’t shimmy down my foot when I run, they provide excellent cushioning, and they keep me feet feeling cool and dry when I run. I give them five stars!

(Source)
I’m all over the place with my product loyalty today. Nike, Lululemon, and now Under Armour. I’m not usually an Under Armour advertisement, but I do love these sports bras. It fits snugly, but is not constricting. It’s seamless, meaning there is no unnecessary chafing, and though they are meant for low-intensity exercise, I find them perfect for running. And, they come in a plethora of fun colors. A win-win on many accounts.


(Source)
I get blisters on blisters on blisters, no matter how broken-in my shoes are. And when I start running multiple days in a row, the blisters only get more and more aggravated. Okay, and when I run long distances wearing shorts, I often chafe between my thighs. Maybe that was too much information, but that’s also why they have people handing out Vaseline on the sides of races. Anyway, I just invested in some Body Glide, and it works wonders. Granted, I have been wearing leggings in this colder weather, but I have no doubt that it will live up to its product reviews.


(Source)
With all of these products, I have no doubt that Sunday's race will be a good one. I will be running in my pink Brooks, and I have not yet decided whether I'll be wearing shorts or leggings. It will be a game time decision, but I am sort of leaning towards the shorts. I hope you all have a wonderful Friday, and I will surely be back sometime this weekend with a race recap! I am participating in the ABB 5K tomorrow morning, which is about a mile more than I normally run the day before a half marathon, but at this point, what's one extra mile, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS