Saturday, July 13, 2013

PiYo

I may have just found a new favorite workout, but we'll get to that in a minute. Let's pick up where we left off, and that was in the middle of work yesterday. I was very productive in the way of getting some personal things done, before Jessica came in and gave me no less than 500 move-in day brochures to fold. I just turned on my music and got in my groove, but I did take an absolutely delicious lunch break. Steak sandwiches were on the menu, but Chris, head of the kitchen staff, knows that I have a dairy intolerance, so he brought me up a veggie sandwich made especially for me. I swapped the white bun for a FlatOut MultiGrain Flatbread smeared with red roasted pepper hummus, but I transferred over all of the veggies, which included mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, diced zucchini squash, green bell peppers, and slices of avocado. Paired with a side of pineapple and strawberries, and I had the perfect lunch. Seriously, I was still talking about it even an hour and a half later.



And the best part is, I can easily recreate this wrap myself. This discovery came at the perfect time, as I have a whole year of preparing on-the-go lunches for myself. The life of a soon-to-be student teacher!

After work, I stopped by Dylan's house for about .5 seconds before he made his way to Friendswood, biked over to Gregory for a late-afternoon swim, and then drove over to Town Lake for a very hot three-mile walk. After a quick errand and a refreshing shower, I was in my pajamas cooking dinner and reading by 7:00pm. Because sometimes you just need that kind of a night.


I finished the book I was reading - Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - and started up a new one - Lessons in French by Hilary Reyl - before calling it a night. I didn't set an alarm this morning, thinking I would just let myself sleep in as late as my body wanted, but I was up and ready to greet the day at 7:15am. I didn't get up right away, and I just laid in bed reading until my stomach started grumbling for breakfast.

I made an old favorite, and when I say old favorite, I mean my favorite breakfast approximately a month ago, but it has been a while since I've whipped up scrambled egg whites and spinach topped with lemon pepper and salsa. I was still a little bit hungry, so I also put together a delicious little fruit bowl, and it was the perfect pre-workout breakfast.



After breakfast, I quickly got changed and headed to 24 Hour Fitness for a 10:00am spin class followed by a 12:00 PiYo Strength class. The spin class left me nice and sweaty, as usual, but it wasn't the hardest class I've ever taken. We did quite a bit of sprint work, but it wasn't as difficult as it has been in the past. Maybe my sprint work is improving!

After a very short arm and ab workout, I headed back upstairs to read until a noon PiYo class. I was very intrigued by the name, especially because Amira told me about a Yogalates class she takes and loves when she is in Baton Rouge. It is a combination of Pilates and yoga, and it is a total-body workout. If you have been reading my blog regularly for the past year or so, you have probably learned that I am not a huge yoga fan. I am not the most flexible person around, and the only experience I have with a Pilates class is when a less-than-polite instructor told me that I really need to work on my flexibility. Needless to say, I was pretty intimidated, and therefore, I never returned.

However, I absolutely loved this PiYo class, because it was more of a strength class than anything, and the only real yoga moves we did were child's pose, downward dog, and warrior pose. The rest of the class was a combination of squats, lunges, pushups, and ab work. One sequence is particular was called "The Rocking Chair," and we stepped into a lunge with one foot, 

(Source)
lifted the other leg off the ground behind us,

(Source)
came back down into the lunge,

(Source)
and finished by lifting the leg that was in the lunge straight up in front of us.

(Source)
I included pictures in case my description was a little bit confusing. Since this is all new to me, I have not yet picked up the actual terms, but I figure the pictures will do the trick. This class really challenged me in a new way, as I am not used to working these muscles, but I have a feeling that I am going to make this a regular part of my Saturday routine.

After a quick shower, I headed over a little early to SRD for the 2:00pm shift, so that I would have just enough time to make myself a delicious grilled chicken salad. I ate it alongside a plate of carrots and hummus, and it was the perfect late lunch.


Now I plan on finishing off the rest of my shift by reading either Lessons in French or Pride and Prejudice. Either one is a win! Enjoy your Squirrel Saturday, and more on that coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS