Saturday, July 13, 2013

Squirrel Smoothie Saturday

I am making up for my days with no blog post by posting twice today. One of the many good things about summer is that in the absence of 12-15 hour course loads, there seems to be just a little bit more time in a day. This will be a quick post, but I do have a simple and delicious smoothie recipe to share with you at the end.

But first - Squirrel Saturday. If you are on Instagram, you are probably familiar with the various day of the week alliterations - Man Crush Monday, Transformation Tuesday, Woman Crush Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, Selfie Sunday - the list goes on. While I do participate in Throwback Thursday from time to time (come on, who can resist posting pictures of some of those ridiculous 90's outfits?), I also enjoy different takes on the day of the week alliterations. Tower Tuesday, 


Wilderness or WyldLife Wednesday, 


and now, Squirrel Saturday. Not that I can take credit for any of them, but they are fun to play along with. If there is one thing I have observed while living in Austin, it is how unique the squirrels here are. They are extremely friendly, and I have watched many people feed them. I am not ashamed to admit that I have spent more than a few minutes at a time trying to snap a picture of a funny squirrel. So, when Dylan suggested making #squirrelsaturday a trend, it didn't take long for me to jump on board, as I have quite a few pictures already stored on my phone. It has proven to be quite the hit, so in the coming Saturdays, I urge you to Instagram, tweet, or post a picture to Facebook of a sassy squirrel you may run across, as this is sure to be the next big trend.


And now for the smoothie recipe. I am a big-time smoothie lover, but I have a hard time making my own smoothies, because they never seem to taste as good as one from JuiceLand or Jamba Juice, or really any other made-for-you smoothie. Maybe it's the blender, maybe it's the thickness, or maybe it's a combination of the two. I have found myself playing around with ingredients, and I finally managed to come up with a recipe good enough to share.

Ingredients
  • 7-8 medium sized strawberries (sans stem caps)
  • 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup Flax Milk (or any kind of milk)
  • Handful of spinach leaves
  • Sprinkle of chia seeds
Throw all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until you have a smooth, smoothie-like consistency. And that's all there is to it. I have found that using at least one frozen fruit really adds some thickness to the smoothie.


And with that, I'm off continue reading Pride and Prejudice. It's really getting good, and I am finding myself falling harder and harder for dear Mr. Darcy.

1 comment:

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice. It's actually one of my top 5 favorite books!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS