Saturday, October 26, 2013

First Run (And Post) Back

You guys probably thought I didn't make it home from San Francisco due to the fact that I have neglected this blog for the past week. It may have been midnight when I stepped foot inside my house, but I made it back to Austin safe and sound. I didn't manage to do one bit of homework on the flight home, but I did watch Midnight in Paris, and I absolutely fell in love with it. If you have never seen it, go out and rent it (if that's even a thing anymore). It's wonderful.
(Source)
I wasted no time getting back into the swing of things, as along with Monday came class, Westwood, YoungLife club, and some serious lesson planning. I am teaching my fifth and sixth lessons this coming Monday, and we have to turn in our lesson plans 48 hours in advance, excluding weekends, so that meant my lesson plan was due by Wednesday afternoon. Since I didn't get to talk with my teacher until Monday about what I would be teaching, that meant I had very limited time to actually put the plan together. It also meant I had a couple of late nights, but I managed to get the plan done in time, and I think it's a good one, but I'll get back to you on that one after I actually teach it!

Things slowed down for me a little bit on Wednesday as I didn't have to go to Westwood, and I only had one class in the morning, so I did a lot of laundry, cooking, and cleaning (though I still have yet to fully unpack from San Francisco. I seem to enjoy living out of a suitcase), and the highlight (or lowlight) of my day would probably have to be the fact that I got all the way to the register at Target, and realized I hadn't transferred my wallet over from my backpack to my purse. Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens far too often, but luckily for me, Dylan needed to get a few things at Target anyway, so he came to my rescue and took me back later that same day. 

Thursday was another whirlwind of a day, as I had class from 9:30am-12:30pm, and then I immediately set off for Westwood so that I could teach the lessons that I was going to teach a couple of week ago, but that were canceled due to a change in the schedule. I thought they went pretty well, but I also know that identifying and analyzing ethos, pathos, and logos is forever a tricky concept for many students (including myself). These classes are also pretty rowdy (especially her 8th block), so that is also a challenge for someone like me who is typically pretty timid and not prone to raising my voice, but it's something that I am working on! After school I decided to go for a walk at Town Lake, because it is one of my absolute favorite things to do, and I haven't gotten to do it for quite some time. Lucky for me, I hit it right as the sun was going down, and I got to catch a glimpse of this lovely sight.


Friday was a really wonderful day, and just the kind of day that I needed after a crazy week. I had my 9am class, and then I immediately went for a swim over at Gregory, before hurrying back to my house to shower so that I could meet Melissa, my freshman year roommate at SRD, for lunch. We decided on Galaxy Cafe in the Triangle, and since it was such a beautiful day outside, we decided to walk the 10 blocks down Lamar. Because I have my car with me in Austin, it is so easy to just drive myself everywhere, and I tend to forget how much I enjoy walking. It was a very tough decision on what to get, but I went with the garden salad (with the added grilled chicken), and a side of fresh fruit. I pretty near cleaned my plate, and it was so wonderful catching up with Melissa. It's hard to believe that we are now seniors who are about ready to graduate, but here we are, about to register for our final semester of college!


After lunch, I finally took my car back into the shop so that I could replace my headlight, and in the meantime, Dylan and I made a quick trip over to Sports Authority and Home Depot, so that he could complete yet another DIY home project. As someone who still calls her dad anytime something needs fixing or improving, I am pretty impressed with the way he just attacks any type of project. We worked in his backyard for a while, before our stomachs got the best of us and we tried a new (to me) restaurant that I absolutely recommend - Blue Star Cafeteria. It's located on Burnet, which has got to be one of the coolest streets in Austin, and everything on the menu looked wonderful. I went for the garden burger with a side of fries, and with Dylan helping me a little with the fries, my plate was clean by the end of the meal. Both of us have been pretty crazy busy this semester, so it was nice to spend some extended time together, and we were even productive in the process!

I let myself sleep in a little bit today, waking up just before 9am, and I immediately set out on running a few quick errands before coming back home to make breakfast. Breakfast was my usual scrambled egg whites and spinach, with a small honeycrisp apple and a cutie. 


It was enough to fuel me through my first run since the half marathon last Sunday. I have been doing a lot of swimming this week, mainly just to give my knees a little bit of a break, but today felt like a good day for a run. I hit the gym around 12:30pm, and ran 5.3 miles, mainly following my 45-minute treadmill workout. It felt good to get in a good run, though running always turns my stomach into a bottomless pit, and I never seem to be satisfied no matter what I eat!

I quickly showered after my time at the gym, and headed down the road to House Park for the Anderson High School football game. A lot of my girls are on the dance team or in the band, but a lot of them were just there watching. The biggest shock for me was the fact that none of the students were wearing mums. Apparently they just aren't a big thing at Anderson! They were a huge deal at Stratford, and though they were extremely annoying to wear and carry around, it was fun to look at all of the different mums!



Seniors got gold mums
I left the game at half-time, and came home to eat some of my pineapple chicken and vegetable dish, along with a handful of grapes and a honeycrisp apple (#2 of the day!) and peanut butter about an hour later. I'm now trying to convince myself to do some homework, but I might just go run a couple of fun errands before settling down to watch the Texas-TCU game tonight.


I hope that is my longest hiatus for a while - after Monday this week should be pretty relaxed, so hopefully I'll be checking in pretty frequently. Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS