Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cooking and Food

Guys, it's getting harder and harder to find surveys for Survey Sunday. That's why it's taken me so long to post this one today. This isn't the world's most exciting survey, but it allows me to post some fun pictures of food, so here goes!

What is your go-to ingredient?
Lemon pepper, if that even counts as an ingredient. I think I actually add it to everything I ever cook - it just gives it so much added flavor!
Pork loin flavored with lemon pepper
What nationality of food do you like the best?
Being from Texas, I feel like I have to say Mexican food. Either that, or Mediterranean. Fish tacos at Mexican restaurants are typically my go-to order, and if I'm going with Mediterranean, I love gyros and pitas.
Fish tacos from Cyclone Anaya's
Barbacoa tacos from Lupe Tortilla
I also acquired a taste for Spanish food when I was overseas - paella and the Spanish tortilla were my very favorites. I actually tried to prepare the tortilla for dinner one night, and though it tasted delicious, I can't say mine was anywhere near as pretty as it was over there.
My sorry attempt at recreating the tortilla
What’s your favorite meal of the day to prepare?
Dinner. I feel like I have more time to prepare dinner (I don't), so I'm more willing to try new things, as opposed to lunch when I try to just whip up something healthy and delicious as fast as I can. I also like preparing breakfast but I'll typically make some granola or muffins that will last me throughout the entire week.
Pumpkin walnut muffins
What is/are your signature dish? (What dish are you ‘known’ for?)
I wouldn't say I'm "known" for anything - maybe my roommates know me for the dairy-free pizza that I make at least three times a week. It's easy, delicious, and nutritious. Can't beat that!

What is your favorite comfort food?
Meatloaf. People knock meatloaf, but until you've tried some of my dad's, you haven't really tried meatloaf. 
What cooking shows do you watch?
I'm actually not a huge fan of watching cooking shows - they don't really hold my interest. 
Your top three favorite cookbooks are:
I feel like with the recent Pinterest phenomenon, the only cookbooks I know of are my mom and grandmother's old cookbooks. I do enjoy looking at dessert cookbooks though - the pictures are so pretty! 
Your must-have kitchen accessory is:
A crock-pot. Though I didn't use it but a couple times this semester, it makes cooking so easy. Put the meat in in the morning, throw in a couple of vegetables, and come dinner time, you are ready to eat - no additional preparation needed.
Crock-pot success
Do you ever eat fast food? If so, what?
The only fast food I ever eat is Chick-Fil-A, and I can't even remember the last time I ate it. Well, actually it was in September, but the reason for that is because in both Houston and Austin, Chick-Fil-A is not very close to where I live, so it requires an effort to go get it. I also do love Subway, if you consider that to be "fast food."
Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich
Most memorable meal you’ve had while on vacation:
Wow. This is a tough question. I loved the Paella I had while in Madrid, but the Spanish tortilla from Ona will forever hold a special place in my heart. I also loved the fish tacos from T-Rex Cafe in Orlando, Florida. The food was delicious, but the atmosphere is what made it so memorable.
Paella 
Tortilla
And the food wasn't anything to write home about, but eating at the oldest restaurant in the world is pretty darn memorable.

What restaurant do you want to eat at that you haven’t yet?
This survey is full of tough questions! I love a good steak, so I guess I'll go with Perry's Steakhouse or Vince Young's Steakhouse in Austin - mainly because those are places I wouldn't be able to afford on my own - maybe my parents can treat me for a certain birthday that's coming up ;)
For a place that's a little less fancy, I have been meaning to try The Omelettry in Austin, but I just haven't made my way over there yet. 
What’s your favorite dessert?
Frozen yogurt. If we're being specific, a parfait from Berripop is the key to my heart.


What scent in the kitchen do you love?
I'll be very unoriginal and say homemade chocolate chip cookies, but I also love the smell of pot roast cooking.
What ingredient(s) do you avoid/dislike?
I avoid butter, mainly because I can't eat it, so I have taken to finding different substations for butter, or just different recipes all together. Also, for some reason or another, I tend to shy away from recipes using flour and I'm not exactly sure why, because it's not like I can't use whole wheat flour to make it healthier!
What’s your secret splurge at the grocery store?
Ever since one of my roommates introduced me to carob chips, I can't stop buying (and eating) them at an alarming rate. They are a great chocolate substitute for this chocolate-lovin' girl, and they're good to eat just by themselves or mixed into oatmeal bars or granola or something. I'm also at a huge loss because I cannot find them anywhere in Houston. Granted, I haven't looked that hard, but still. They're five minutes away from my house in Austin!

What’s the most decadent dish you’ve ever had?
P.F. Chang's Great Wall of Chocolate. Seriously, that is some of the best chocolate cake I have ever had. Put that in front of four girls and it will be gone in less than two minutes. 

Can you believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve? I definitely can't, especially because I have tons of baking to do tomorrow and the next few days so I can get my friends some belated Christmas presents. Oops - procrastination station over here! See y'all tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. where is kelli? no posts all week...here are some questions in case you dont have any for survey sunday...no theme....did you watch the ut bowl game? what all did you get for christmas? seen any movies over break yet? what are you reading now? done much baking? are you going to run in the austin gorilla run this jan? if so will you post a pic of u in a gorilla suit, if not, do you have something against gorillas? how did you do in your vb games last fall, win 1st? what postion did you play, same as in hs, what postion is that?
    and do you wish readers would not post as anonymous or do you not care?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have been seriously slacking! I have been enjoying some time spent with friends and family, and blogging has been at the back of my mind. Survey Sunday will be back in action tomorrow, but I will keep those questions in mind for another post! I would love to do the gorilla run, but the cost is pretty high, and I want a friend to do it with me!
      As for the posting anonymously, whatever my readers are comfortable with is fine with me, but I'd love to know who is commenting!
      Also - be sure to check out my most recent post!

      Delete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS