Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Call Me Teacher

Remember my first day of school? And how I said I was going to talk about my experience with you? And then the semester caught up with me and I am just now talking about it - almost three months later?

Twenty hours later
Sorry about that. But between the lesson plans, the reflections, and the readings for that class, and not to mention driving 40 minutes each way to actually get to Lake Travis, things have been a little busy. But I'm now ready to tell you about my 202 experience.
Page one of my reflection on the experience
Before I get started, think back to your middle school days. Awkward memories, huh? While I enjoyed my middle school experience (for the most part), I know that it was a pretty rough time for some people, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this semester. My UT professor called it a journey, and I think I have to agree with that term for it. Two trips through middle school - what a treat! It was fun seeing it from the other side. 




I mentioned in my First Day of School post that I was placed in a pretty affluent middle school, not unlike the middle school I attended. The students were bright, polite, and well-trained. I didn't have to do much in the way of discipline, which was a good thing because it was hard for me to discipline when they weren't technically "my" students. They were truly great kids, and I had a lot of fun with them over the course of the semester. Now, onto the lessons.
Lake Travis Middle School on a beautiful day
When I taught my first lesson - I was nervous. Getting up in front of 33 eighth graders is not easy. My first lesson was over fact-opinion-bias, and though I felt comfortable with the material, my bad habit of talking too fast really showed up that day. First of all, I was nervous, and second of all, I worried that I wouldn't finish everything that I wanted to finish before I ran out of time, so I hurried through things, forgetting to take deep breaths. The lesson wasn't bad, but I will say that I once I got number one out of the way, the remaining five were much smoother. I felt more comfortable with the kids, I got to know them, and though my classroom management definitely needs some work, I feel as though I have a hold on this whole teaching thing.

Actually, I don't really feel that way at all, but it was nice to dip my toes in the water and see if this is truly something that I want to continue doing. I'll admit it - I have my days when this is the last thing I want to be doing, but then I remember how much some of my teachers impacted my life and sparked a love of learning, and I want to do the same for my students one day.

My cooperating teacher was excellent - intelligent, sweet, helpful, but pretty darn intimidating at the same time. She is extremely high up in the language arts world - she speaks at national conventions - and I desperately wanted to impress her. It felt good, though, when she gave me things that I need to improve on, because I feel as though I am working towards something. It also felt good when I received positive affirmation from her because she definitely knows what she is doing and I know next-to-nothing about this profession. Actually, I learned quite a bit about what comes along with the title "teacher," in the seminar part of the class - the paperwork, the "rules," retirement (which is not something I should be thinking about yet!), and the like. If you have ever thought that teaching is easy, just listen to Michael Lopez speak for 50 minutes and you will change your mind very quickly.

So, after each semester at the elementary, middle, and high schools, we are required to put together a portfolio of our experience - mainly so we have all of our lesson plans, observations, evaluations, and handouts together in the hopes that we can whip it out when we are interviewing for a job in a couple years. Or like one and a half. It's fine.
The front of my portfolio 
The back - I put a picture of myself when I was my student's age
I officially turned in my portfolio yesterday, so I think I'll give you guys a glimpse into my 202 experience this semester. I absolutely LOVE projects like this, so I tend to go all out with the stickers and pictures and just putting a bit more money into it than I should. However, I would be proud to show my portfolios to a potential future employer, so I'd say it's worth it. 
Teacher evaluation
Lesson Plan #3
I will say that I breathed a sigh of relief after finishing my sixth lesson, and a shiver of excitement (and nervousness) ran down my spine when I realized that the next time I teach a lesson I will be in a high school classroom - next fall! It has been one crazy semester but I have learned a lot about myself and my ideas about teaching and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS