Saturday, March 21, 2015

Upper Body Circuit

Happy Saturday! It's rainy, rainy, rainy here in Houston, and while I would love to see the sun because I would love to work on getting a tan, I'm strangely okay with the rain. I'm in the middle of a great book, I'm working on a little project for my students, and of course, I'm engrossed in March Madness. Though I had picked Baylor to win, and one more after that, I think my favorite moment has to be when the Georgia State coach fell out of his chair when his son shot the winning three-pointer to give his team the unexpected victory. If Georgia State went all the way, though it would absolutely bust my bracket, I wouldn't hate to see more celebrations like that!

(Source)
Anyway, I'm just popping in to share a quick upper body circuit with you guys. I learned the hard way that neglecting cross training and strength training can quickly lead to injury. For the first part of the year all I was doing really was running, and we see how that turned out for me. Though I am doing much, much better on the shin front. Anyway, strength training is beneficial in more ways than one, and I'm slowly but surely re-integrating it into my regular workout routine. I completed the following upper body workout, but let me explain it a little bit. I completed three sets of round one, resting one minute in between each set, before doing the same thing with round two.


I was in and out of the gym in about 20 minutes, meaning there's no excuse for not squeezing in some upper body strength training. And I think most of these exercises are either self-explanatory, or they have appeared on the blog before, let's talk about thrusters. Typically a Crossfit exercise, meant to combine both the front squat and the push press, they can certainly be modified a bit for those who aren't comfortable lifting that much weight (or who struggle with front squats - I'll be the first to raise my hand). My thrusters looked like this, and I still felt like I was getting a total-body workout.


(Source)
And with that, I'm off to get done some of the things that I neglected to do all week. Happens every year, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS